Garmin Status - what does Garmin say about you today?!

26 watchers
9 Feb
5:32pm, 9 Feb 2024
38,419 posts
  •  
Ness
That's probably what it is, Pix. You wouldn't have thought that I had done 172 miles of walking and 16 weight training sessions in the 28 days I was on Gran Canaria. Hopefully the fitness will pick back up slowly.
9 Feb
5:45pm, 9 Feb 2024
51,596 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
You did amazing!
9 Feb
5:59pm, 9 Feb 2024
38,420 posts
  •  
Ness
Aw, thanks, Pix x
11 Feb
6:07pm, 11 Feb 2024
2,511 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
Fairly new (a couple of weeks) to using a Garmin Instinct so it may still be learning (though I have uploaded through other devices to Connect consistently for years), but it's just given me a Training Readiness Score.

1!

I think I'll be taking an easy few days (to be fair I was already planning on doing so)
11 Feb
10:46pm, 11 Feb 2024
4 posts
  •  
Sarbear
I've got a Garmin Instinct 2. I don't see that many people with them compared to Forerunners, but I needed something hard to destroy! Mine says I should have been in bed a while ago
12 Feb
11:44am, 12 Feb 2024
6,454 posts
  •  
quimby
My Garmin is constantly moaning about how short a sleep I have had, then when I take a nap, it tells me my naps are not optimal.

"Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-two million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea."
12 Feb
1:47pm, 12 Feb 2024
3,929 posts
  •  
tipsku
:-D quimby
My Garmin is conflicted about my marathon training. The volume at low intensity with very little hard running (Anaerobic) makes it drop my VO2 max by a point so you'd think it scolds me for losing fitness. Then again, it tells me that I'm productive and my fitness is headed in the right direction. Which one is it now?

As a result of the drop, the predicted race times have become more reasonable for the longer races but are still ridiculous for the short distances.

Marathon in 3:36:53 - probably quite right.

Half in 1:36:27 - a bit ambitious but I think I could run a sub 1:40 next month, I'd say 2-3 minutes slower than the prediction.

10k in 42:54 - nope, I'd be lucky to run a 45:xy right now, probably more like 46, let's say about 3-3:30 min slower than that.

5k in 20:21 - haha, very funny. Maybe around 22:20, so 2 min slower? Before the drop in VO2 max, it predicted a sub 20.

I'm not sure if the predictions take into account my training volume and intensity distribution. How do these predictions work? I'm training for a marathon so the marathon prediction is the closest to my actual abilities.

I had a bit of a short night after the Superbowl, 6 hours of sleep but good, deep and uninterrupted, sleep score of 77.
12 Feb
9:17pm, 12 Feb 2024
2,512 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
Tipsku: Have a read on Daniel's running formula and the correlation between what he calls Vdot (different to VO2max but related) and potential race times. Those times you quote are all about at about the same Vdot (46-47). It is only a single measure of aerobic potential, but given that they all aerobic dominated distances, should be reasonably achievable physiologically (psychologically may be a different matter).
12 Feb
9:45pm, 12 Feb 2024
3,934 posts
  •  
tipsku
Thank you for the reply, MudMeanderer. I use the vdot numbers, when determining what good training paces and realistic race paces are. When I enter a recent 5k time in that calculator, 22:10 run on New Year's Eve, I get a 44.1 and the equivalent times for 10k (46:00), a half (1:41:59) and a full (3:31:43). Those times, apart from the marathon, are realistic. For the marathon, I need several more weeks of training to get there.

After missing training for 2 weeks due to illness, I ran a 10k in 47:14, definitely slower than I would have been without being sick. After the 22:10 in the 5k, I was in sub-45:00 min shape. In previous years, I had converted a 22:50 in the 5k to a 44:45 10k 4 weeks later.

If I go by the times predicted by Garmin, I get the following vdots:
5k: 48.8
10k: 48.1
half: 47.1
marathon: 42.9!

So it doesn't really make any sense at all. I'm doing a lot of marathon specific training, lots of volume and tempo runs and Garmin gives me the worst vdot number for the marathon while the others are way too high. I don't think that Garmin takes actual race results into account when making these predictions. With a 44 vdot number from the 5k, I should have gotten different predictions. So I don't think Garmin uses vdot at all.
13 Feb
4:54pm, 13 Feb 2024
3,534 posts
  •  
cackleberry
My stats are all really good at the moment, yet I haven't changed a thing...

I don't feel quite as tired perhaps, I am still not overflowing with energy, but feel less like a reanimated corpse than I usually do.

BB currently 42, down from 80 this morning. Haven't bottomed out for a couple of weeks.
Sleep Score 85 'Good' and has been around that for nearly a week.
VO2 Max 46 and climbing.
Training status 'Productive'. Load 'optimal' (but dropping)
RHR 44
HRV 66 and balanced
Stress 25
Recovery? 'Fully recovered'!

I'd like to see all this graphed against my menstrual cycle as I think that is the biggest over riding factor in how I feel. Both how I 'feel' and how I am physiologically.

About This Thread

Maintained by EvilPixie
According to my Garmin this morning my body battery was at just 41 and I was "strained"
I have been strained for most days in the last 2 weeks
My body battery has also been low

So today it suggested a threshold run of up to an hour!

What's your Garmin say?