•  
Maclennane
for the several of us trying to follow the frequently baffling schedules
16 Oct
6:47pm, 16 Oct 2024
33,021 posts
  •  
Maclennane
Tonight's proposed absurdity - 18 minutes of speed repeats - ok in itself, but with 15 minutes of warm up and 15 minutes of cool down, that's half an hour of walking around in the micturating rain for no good reason. Tomorrow me can do it.
17 Oct
8:50am, 17 Oct 2024
3,926 posts
  •  
Fitz
WU and CD could be easy running rather than walking, no?
17 Oct
8:52am, 17 Oct 2024
33,023 posts
  •  
Maclennane
yes, I'm going to try that next time. My fitness is so rubbish at the moment my easy run is about as slow as I can usefully go
17 Oct
10:20am, 17 Oct 2024
39,738 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
I have a question. Why are you doing speed repeats if your fitness is rubbish?
17 Oct
10:26am, 17 Oct 2024
33,026 posts
  •  
Maclennane
Because coach Greg tells me to. Coach Greg should have everything he needs to work out my fitness level.
It's one of my main gripes about the setup, it feels very clunky and not very adaptive at all. That said, my fitness has definitely improved over the 5 weeks so far
17 Oct
10:47am, 17 Oct 2024
39,740 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
I tend to think easy runs first, then once you have a few months on easy stuff you then start quicker work. Injury really. Greg sounds lime a crossfit type guy. Thy always prescribe running fast because, basically, they're not runners.
17 Oct
11:40am, 17 Oct 2024
44,017 posts
  •  
Nellers
To be fair, OS, CrossFit coaches might prescribe higher intensity runs but they'd be much lower volume in a mixed programme rather than in a 4-5 runs per week running plan.

Of course there is a range of CrossFit coaches and some are more competent than others, as in all fields.
17 Oct
12:14pm, 17 Oct 2024
39,741 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
If you follow crossfit, you become better at crossfit, not neccesarily running, I know, I did it for two years. I wanted the strength at the time.

It depends what you want, you, an individual, has to decide what they want to do and what your aims are. Then you decide what to do.
17 Oct
12:37pm, 17 Oct 2024
44,019 posts
  •  
Nellers
Oh totally agree, OS.

Anyway, yes I agree that if you’re putting by together a plan for an “unfit runner” then 1 min speed repeats is a tough session and might be getting close to something that causes injuries.

If you were doing something like cycling or rowing to improve cardio fitness this would be ideal but the injury risk is a lot less due to lack of impact.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Maclennane
for the several of us trying to follow the frequently baffling schedules