Garmin Status - what does Garmin say about you today?!

26 watchers
Feb 2023
7:26am, 10 Feb 2023
62,577 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Mine appears to think I'm still asleep and once again it's advised me to do 48 minutes at 10.20mm today.
Feb 2023
7:28am, 10 Feb 2023
40,280 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
BB 100!
RHR good
SS 76 fair
HRV 87 overnight 😮 balanced 7 day averages 72

You’re doing a long race Sunday so please do 70 mins base run
😛 nope

3 hrs recovery left from last nights 3m hmmmm
Feb 2023
8:36am, 10 Feb 2023
28,025 posts
  •  
Rosehip
BB 62 (it was at 5 by mid evening)
RHR - top end of my normal range
HRV - balanced, but low end of range
SS - 74 fair, stupid thing, had nearly 8 hours, bloody marvellous for me!

Maintaining, high aerobic shortage - suggestion Base, 48 min@12.55 which is roughly what it’ll be on the way to the gym.
Feb 2023
8:40am, 10 Feb 2023
4,265 posts
  •  
phal
For the first time ever my garmin is telling me to rest today 😀

I am going to do just that (well a walk will occur but that’s just normal 😀)

It registered me as being asleep while sitting reading a book the other day! It was about normal bedtime but I was definitely not sleeping!

HRV going wonky again. I think it’s sleeping in a bedroom that’s warmer than our’s at home!
Feb 2023
9:45am, 10 Feb 2023
2,367 posts
  •  
tipsku
6:34 hours of sleep, 81 SS, good, plenty of REM but a bit short
BB 85 up from 30
Training load optimal, status is maintaining. If I want to improve, I have to increase my load.

Recovery time left: 53 hours so I should rest. I'm going to go for a short recovery Rundle run at low HR (Z1) later.

So I've done the tempo session it recommended to me (5x 10 minutes with 3 minutes recovery) or close to it. 5x 2000m is a bit under 50 minutes in total, with 500m recovery, about 3 minutes each time. Now it tells me that I'm overreaching and I got the rare 5.0 training score. Garmin, I did exactly as told.
Maybe I didn't let HR go down as much as it wanted in the recovery (Z3 instead of Z1) because between cruise intervals, I don't want to drop far off the threshold to get more of a lactate shuttle effect. If I had gone down to suggested range, I'd have had to walk / jog very slowly. For fast VO2 max intervals, I do that because I need it to be recovered for the next hard effort.

Tempo or cruise intervals should be run differently because I'm going for a different effect, the ability to use lactate as a fuel while running quite fast so I shouldn't drop off the pace too much between intervals. At least, that's what I've been told in coaching seminars.

Sometimes I wonder if Garmin understands what the optimal execution of the suggestions should be for the best effect.
SPR
Feb 2023
10:38am, 10 Feb 2023
39,512 posts
  •  
SPR
tipsku that's a tough session, not surprised you got a 5 for that.

Quick summary is Garmin is doing traditional stuff and has a proper recovery while you're doing something that's fairly new and therefore mixing them has ended up with an extremely hard session.
Feb 2023
10:57am, 10 Feb 2023
2,368 posts
  •  
tipsku
Thanks, SPR. That makes sense. Having full recoveries would have dropped the intensity to 4.5 or whatever Garmin wanted for that. I didn't expect to exceed that but I guess it's okay to have a pretty hard session once a month or so. I didn't even get a 5.0 for my 10k race last month, that was a 4.6. Subjectively, the race felt harder because I had no recovery. So the interval style did its job, I was able to put up more work while feeling less stressed.

I'm just chuckling at the comment on the training load that I should be increasing volume or intensity to further improve. I've done a pretty hard session and that's what I get, haha. The apps within Garmin don't really talk to each other.
SPR
Feb 2023
11:56am, 10 Feb 2023
39,513 posts
  •  
SPR
I need to check the highest training effect I've had. Might be from a MD session, lol. Sure I've seen 3 days recovery from that! Maybe had that for a couple of races as well.

This article might be of use to you tipsku, the alternation method is the type of session you were aiming for I think but the traditional interval length is too long for that really.

highperformancewest.com

I'm using something similar currently. 7 mile run with 5 miles alternated as 400/1200. With progression at the moment about getting the alternations better before increasing the length of the faster portion.

I used 4 miles of 800/800 at 5000 target/ steady in 2021 to hone my 5000 which was lagging behind my 1500 ability early season.
SPR
Feb 2023
11:57am, 10 Feb 2023
39,514 posts
  •  
SPR
Velociraptor from yesterday, where are you seeing training suggestions on the app.

Gobi also from yesterday, early start to 800 work? Planning more MD this year?
Feb 2023
12:36pm, 10 Feb 2023
79,178 posts
  •  
Gobi
Racing for Wales on the 26th SPR which is scary in Feb at this weight having not really got back on the track.

About This Thread

Maintained by EvilPixie
According to my Garmin this morning my body battery was at just 41 and I was "strained"
I have been strained for most days in the last 2 weeks
My body battery has also been low

So today it suggested a threshold run of up to an hour!

What's your Garmin say?