Garmin Status - what does Garmin say about you today?!

26 watchers
Sep 2023
8:14am, 5 Sep 2023
2,836 posts
  •  
Big_G
CK2, I had the same yesterday. “Strained” when I woke, although I’m not training much and thought I had slept well. HRV very low though. It is interesting as it seems to know something - the day before was a very stressful day with Dad, and it seems to have picked up on that as the “Strained” status and very low HRV is not normal for me. I think I’ve only previously seen it when I had Covid. I did do a gentle run yesterday, and I slept well last night but it’s still showing ‘strained’ this morning. I’ve not got a cold or anything else like that.

I know it’s displaying different variables but I still think that some of the other indicators don’t tie up with the above, and it’s not a uniform picture it presents, which is confusing. For example this morning it’s saying:
- fully recovered.

- 9hrs sleep, 86 score, plenty of REM. I rarely get a higher sleep score than this.

- Acute load Optimal (bottom end of that range)
- Body battery 88, which is about normal for me. Don’t often get 100.

But training status is “strained”.
Sep 2023
8:38am, 5 Sep 2023
16,516 posts
  •  
Badger
Low enough hrv is enough to give Strained on its own, going by some of my history.
Sep 2023
8:51am, 5 Sep 2023
46,434 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
yeah I'm strained and have been for weeks
My HRV went up earlier in the year so got strained and Garmin slowly altered my baseline

Now it's dropping again and I am back to strained! LOL
Sep 2023
9:09am, 5 Sep 2023
2,837 posts
  •  
Big_G
Badger. Yeah, that’s what I’m saying I suppose, although the other variables are pretty normal for me.
Sep 2023
9:10am, 5 Sep 2023
65,207 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I've never had a Strained. I have a charmed life. It only took two days of cycling instead of running to pull me back from Productive to Maintaining. On both days, the Garmin had advised a rest day. ION, my HRV is suddenly "balanced" again after a single very high reading last night.
CK2
Sep 2023
1:36pm, 5 Sep 2023
2,239 posts
  •  
CK2
Mine isn’t giving me a training status. It says I’m not running enough (I’m still recovering from injury.) In fact it struggles with non running exercises a bit. BB was only 56 on waking so my planned recovery week is just as well.
Sep 2023
4:18pm, 5 Sep 2023
34,110 posts
  •  
Ness
Today my stats so far are..

Body Battery - 34 now, down from 72 when I first got up. "Your body battery is down 38 points since you woke up. Balancing upcoming activity with rest can help you avoid bottoming out."
VO2 max - superior 48
Training status - Maintaining - High Aerobic Shortage
Load - optimal 879
Sleep Score - fair 69 for 7h 5m "Not enough REM. You slept long enough, but your amount of REM was low."
HR - resting - 44
Today's training suggestion - "Base 10:10/mi 45:00" My morning training run was reasonably close to that.
Sep 2023
2:42pm, 11 Sep 2023
80,449 posts
  •  
Gobi
Got to love the Garmin status

August was all maintaining or productive but just spent 6 days as strained.

On the 6th day I did a 50 min cx race where my hravg was 160 and max hit 181

This morning my training is productive.

There was no taper , I did 20hours last week.
Sep 2023
3:33pm, 11 Sep 2023
46,691 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
my HRV baseline has dropped enough that it now says unbalanced rather than low which means I am back to maintaining instead of strained
It did put my running VO2 max up recently which is my highest that a Garmin has ever recorded now - I've never done or wanted to do a proper VO2 max test!!
load optimal but anaerobic shortage still - I did the suggested intervals on Friday so have a tiny purple bit now :-D
Last week was low due to heat (sorry Gobi) this week will be my last big week before Chester
then I will start a taper and add some faster bits which will hopefully make Garmin happier
CK2
Sep 2023
8:20am, 16 Sep 2023
2,261 posts
  •  
CK2
Does anyone get a 100 on their body battery? I’m thrilled if mine is in the 80s after a good night’s sleep. It was 49 on waking this morning ☹️

About This Thread

Maintained by EvilPixie
According to my Garmin this morning my body battery was at just 41 and I was "strained"
I have been strained for most days in the last 2 weeks
My body battery has also been low

So today it suggested a threshold run of up to an hour!

What's your Garmin say?