Garmin Status - what does Garmin say about you today?!

26 watchers
Aug 2023
12:33pm, 22 Aug 2023
2,789 posts
  •  
Big_G
The last few runs, about a mile or two in, the device has flashed up a +4 in terms of its performance score. But the overall trend is still showing as ‘maintaining’ or occasionally ‘recovery’ after an easy day or rear day. I haven’t seen ‘productive’ for months. I know I am fitter than I was a month or two ago though. I know it for certain, and the watch appears to agree with its in-run performance score, but it’s not feeding through to the training status.
Aug 2023
1:09pm, 22 Aug 2023
33,625 posts
  •  
Ness
The performance score I get during a run doesn't seem to relate to the data I get from Garmin Connect either. Today my status is....

Body Battery - 44 now, down from 79 when I got up.

VO2 max - superior 48
Training status - Maintaining - High Aerobic Shortage
Load - optimal 855
Sleep Score - fair 70 for 7h 4m "You slept long enough, but your amount of REM was too low. Creativity and problem solving may be challenging today. To improve your time spent in REM sleep, avoid alcohol, nicotine and caffeine close to bedtime."
HR - resting - 48
Today's training suggestion "Base 10:10/mi 45:00" .... Well I ran for about 45 minutes but slower than that.😉😂
Aug 2023
1:38pm, 22 Aug 2023
45,942 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Fetch has looked at this morning's FIT file and had a play - I will (hopefully) have power tonight!!
SPR
Aug 2023
1:39pm, 22 Aug 2023
42,340 posts
  •  
SPR
That's another thing I've switched off, don't need that info during a run. That said, I have the chart in connect after a run and runalyze gives start and end numbers. On Saturdays 11.4 with 5 x 2000, 1000 rec I went from +5 to -4 so the instant measurement is obviously no way to measure overall and the system has to have some way to account for fatigue.
SPR
Aug 2023
1:40pm, 22 Aug 2023
42,341 posts
  •  
SPR
Importing the file manually might be a good way to check EP.
Aug 2023
1:46pm, 22 Aug 2023
45,943 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
good plan - done that SPR and now have watts in the data at the top of the entry (doesn't show on the splits) which is cool
Aug 2023
2:08pm, 22 Aug 2023
45,944 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
so seeing as you lot are all very clever
and I possibly have more reading time ahead of me

When I use the tri HRM I end up with stats for alllllll of these (some where there before obvs)
elevation
pace
HR
Performance condition
stride length
run cadence
vertical ratio (I get average vertical ration and average vertical oscillation)
ground contact time & balance
respiration rate
temperature
run/walk
and now running power
then there is training load and training effect
intensity minutes and things like guestimated sweat loss and calories used (active calories and calories burned and resting calories!)

so what should or could I do with all this data? how can I "use it" or indeed just learn to understand it. Is there a guide to this sort of thing? I do like a bit of geeking!
Aug 2023
2:20pm, 22 Aug 2023
2,791 posts
  •  
Big_G
SPR, I’ve just switched it off :) Don’t want that showing -10 a mile into a marathon, because of a dodgy HR strap connection :)
Aug 2023
8:08am, 23 Aug 2023
29,767 posts
  •  
Rosehip
Garmin bit better at noticing my lack of sleep last night- 5 hrs 10, poor.
Subsequently training readiness is low, but HRV still on the up and rhr looks normal.
Today’s suggestion is an hour base - which is probably what will happen
Note that base pace suggestion is still getting slower, but still not slow enough to give the target hr.
SPR
Aug 2023
10:16am, 23 Aug 2023
42,354 posts
  •  
SPR
Looks to me like Garmin is a lot better with short races these days. In 2021 after a 800 race it gave me 30 hours recovery . Yesterday it gave me 59 hours.

About This Thread

Maintained by EvilPixie
According to my Garmin this morning my body battery was at just 41 and I was "strained"
I have been strained for most days in the last 2 weeks
My body battery has also been low

So today it suggested a threshold run of up to an hour!

What's your Garmin say?