Garmin Status - what does Garmin say about you today?!

26 watchers
Jan 2023
10:52am, 19 Jan 2023
78,951 posts
  •  
Gobi
I see it as a rough guide nothing more. I think if you know it reads low that's cool as you can assume 45 up to 46 is really world 55 up to 56.

I must admit I don't use the training tips at all tipsku but I'd guess it would have me running slowly as currently it thinks my potential over 5k is over 19mins. I can assure you I'm a lot faster than that even when out of shape.

I mess with mine as I do very little running speedwork especially outside track season.
Jan 2023
12:11pm, 19 Jan 2023
2,178 posts
  •  
tipsku
I don't really use the suggestions either, I'm just amusing myself with looking at them.

I think I'm a bit of an outlier as I don't really have a history of athletics or faster running. Most people start with 5k or shorter distances before they move on to 10k, half and full marathon. I came from distance hiking (5-7 hour outings with a friend) and went straight for half and then full marathon before I even considered trying to get faster over 5k or 10k. When I was a teen, I didn't even like running because all the running at school was eyeballs out. Coming from longer distances at slow paces or even walking was my pathway into running. So the main challenge now is to get the body to run faster - muscles, joints and tendons take their time to adapt. That's what Garmin can't see.

You're a really interesting case, too. Garmin underestimates what you're capable of - that's rare. You're that experienced and well conditioned for fast running that you're falling outside the norm, too, but on the other end. Garmin probably uses large cohorts of data to make those predictions. The training you're inputting probably wouldn't let other people run as fast as you can.
Jan 2023
12:19pm, 19 Jan 2023
28,066 posts
  •  
Ness
That is interesting, both. My Garmin makes daily training suggestions that are way beyond that which I'm capable of! Of course it doesn't factor in the hilly terrain I train on or my slightly restricted stride because of my hip resurfacing.
Jan 2023
12:39pm, 19 Jan 2023
2,180 posts
  •  
tipsku
Ness I found that pretty frustrating, when I was still living in hilly North Wales - I never got close to the suggestions so I ignored them. Now, in flat Leipzig, they are not that crazy anymore but still a tad too fast for the intended purpose.

Gobi, out of interest, I just checked what Garmin thinks I could run right now. 20:06 for the 5k. Haha, that would be just a minute slower than your Garmin estimate. For reference, my fastest 5k in the last 6 months or so was 22:39.

This said, the race times are not quite as crazy as they were before my watch included LTHR in my stats. Before that, for an estimated Vo2 max of 52, I would get 19 minutes for the 5k, 40 for 10k and a 3:18 for the marathon or so.

I think if I trained specifically for a fast 5k and did several training cycles, I could get close to 20. The marathon prediction is 3:30 and that's what I'm training for. I guess you have to pick one of the goal times and then follow a dedicated training plan for it to have a chance to make it.
Jan 2023
1:51pm, 19 Jan 2023
62,266 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I went for a run and am now in disgrace for doing too much slow running.
Jan 2023
2:15pm, 19 Jan 2023
78,957 posts
  •  
Gobi
tipsku we are opposite ends for sure. I ran 4.37 for a mile when I was a teenager.(5.03 track last year) Played football but always ran for fitness. Returned to racing in my 30s and did ultras but ran 16.16 for 5k while tapering for World 100kms . I hate walking anywhere and as I never got the 100k right never ran further. I race track these days but ran 16.38 for 5k age 51 last year.

I do very little running speed work which I am sure baffles my garmin - cycling VO2 currently 67 !
Jan 2023
10:19am, 20 Jan 2023
27,846 posts
  •  
Rosehip
Garmin telling me off for poor sleep again:
HRV status : unbalanced
Training readiness: poor

Training Status: maintaining
Sleep score : poor
Body battery +54

No long or hard run for me today (I agree with it for once)
Jan 2023
10:44am, 20 Jan 2023
78,967 posts
  •  
Gobi
Mine is happy enough

Still thinks I'm in recover

HRV - 72
RHR - 38
BB - 66
STRESS - 15
SS - 70 for a solid 6hrs
Jan 2023
11:03am, 20 Jan 2023
62,279 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I am in fine fettle, my body battery went up from 27 to 99 overnight, and I should do 48 minutes at 10.15mm pace. It doesn't know that my Bad Knee is playing up a bit. (It's only a touch of osteoarthritis, I'll give it a rub and go out anyway.)
Jan 2023
11:38am, 20 Jan 2023
39,621 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Happy here too but do a short recovery run

About This Thread

Maintained by EvilPixie
According to my Garmin this morning my body battery was at just 41 and I was "strained"
I have been strained for most days in the last 2 weeks
My body battery has also been low

So today it suggested a threshold run of up to an hour!

What's your Garmin say?