Garmin Status - what does Garmin say about you today?!

26 watchers
Jan 2023
9:42am, 16 Jan 2023
62,209 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
It's the day for thresholds! I've been invited to do 27min at 8.10mm pace. That's not threshold, it's 5k race pace downhill with a following wind at the moment.
Jan 2023
9:42am, 16 Jan 2023
62,210 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
And otherwise, my body battery went up to 98%, my HRV was substandard, and it's snowing.
Jan 2023
10:12am, 16 Jan 2023
2,136 posts
  •  
tipsku
I'm getting told off for the long run yesterday and not sleeping enough. Garmin didn't like it that I watched the NFL playoffs. So body battery is only at 70. Suggested run is rest, I'll be a good girl and only run with the beginners tonight. Usually, that doesn't even give me a VO2 max rating because it's too low in intensity.

Regarding the ridiculous paces that you get, Velociraptor and Ness, I'm wondering how Garmin calculates those? I've got my suggestions in HR zones so I get reasonable intensity for each session but usually the suggestion is too long for current training status. Except the easy runs, they are alright.
Before I switched to HR, the default setting was pace and that was usually too fast for everything, too.
Jan 2023
10:24am, 16 Jan 2023
27,998 posts
  •  
Ness
I'm not sure, tipsku. I'm thinking it's the progression the algorithm puts in. So, for example, I set a target for the number of steps I do per day. I set this when I got my new Garmin over a year ago, I think. I initially set it to 10,000 steps a day. Garmin Connect has adjusted it over time. I only noticed the other day. It's now on... 25,760
Jan 2023
10:42am, 16 Jan 2023
2,137 posts
  •  
tipsku
When it comes to duration, that's probably right. It looks at the overall distribution and then asks you to do what it thinks you're missing. Because I don't do a lot of high aerobic exercise, I get crazy long sessions.

But the pace is probably based on the VO2 max estimate. If I enter mine in a calculator website like vdot, I get impossible race times. Like a sub 40 10k. Then the suggested threshold pace makes sense.
Jan 2023
1:42pm, 16 Jan 2023
9,048 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
I do fewer steps on Mondays. Probably because of my recent long runs are on Sundays.
Jan 2023
6:38pm, 16 Jan 2023
28,009 posts
  •  
Ness
That makes sense, Surrey Phil. Whereas Sunday is my rest day usually and long runs are on Saturday.
Jan 2023
7:02pm, 16 Jan 2023
27,809 posts
  •  
Rosehip
HRV status - unbalanced - better than the ‘low’ it has been
Training status - maintaining , high aerobic shortage
(I rarely get anything other than maintaining or recovery, unless it choses to randomly put ‘strained’ in )
Suggest workout? Missed checking today, tomorrow is 108 minute ‘long run’ - which may well be my choice for the day.
Told me off for not going to bed early enough - as per.
Jan 2023
7:03pm, 16 Jan 2023
62,224 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I'm so inert that my Garmin doesn't realise I haven't gone to bed.
Jan 2023
7:53pm, 16 Jan 2023
2,142 posts
  •  
tipsku
I haven't had that in a while but it has happened a couple of times when I was studying at my desk and didn't move for a while. Then Garmin thought I had fallen asleep and when I actually went to bed, it registered that as a brief interruption.

I guess that's how people get really long sleep times. When I check my insights, it tells me that with an average sleep time of around 8 hours, I'm in the bottom 16% of my age and gender. About 50% of them appear to be between 8:15-9:15 and another 25% log 9:30-10:30 hours of sleep.

About This Thread

Maintained by EvilPixie
According to my Garmin this morning my body battery was at just 41 and I was "strained"
I have been strained for most days in the last 2 weeks
My body battery has also been low

So today it suggested a threshold run of up to an hour!

What's your Garmin say?