Transgender Athletes

97 watchers
Aug 2019
8:50pm, 13 Aug 2019
719 posts
  •  
Vixx
I don't believe that self-identified transwomen should be able to compete as female unless they meet the IOC (or whichever sport's) policy. It's completely unfair if that's the case.
Aug 2019
8:52pm, 13 Aug 2019
2,379 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
I agree
Aug 2019
9:07pm, 13 Aug 2019
4,458 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
Thanks Vixx and TR for your insight and honesty. I consider myself an LGBT+ ally but have not met many trans people, so I read much of this thread to better understand and be better informed.
Aug 2019
9:14pm, 13 Aug 2019
42,731 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
The Western States Endurance Run has what would appear to be a reasonable compromise which respects the self-identified gender and preserves the privacy of transgender participants but will look into the gender status of top ten finishers and age category winners if there is reason to do so.

wser.org

It does rather assume that it's acceptable for a woman to finish third in her age category because second place has been awarded to someone who is physiologically male but identifies as female, but a line has to be drawn somewhere and "under the prizes" makes practical sense.
Aug 2019
9:30pm, 13 Aug 2019
720 posts
  •  
Vixx
I know a lot of the US transwomen tend to get in touch with the race directors of races they wish to enter, in order to check they will be welcome.
Aug 2019
9:31pm, 13 Aug 2019
13,261 posts
  •  
Rosehip
Thank you Vixx and TR.

I'm with Helegant and probably the majority here, that I don't really know enough to comment but have found the whole debate interesting and very informative (as well as frustrating and sad at times)

I can understand the feeling of unfairness that comes from transwomen competing and feel it's a shame that there has been some intolerance from more than one direction.

-To reply to something V'rap said: unfortunately, I have seen one case of a child being coerced towards transition by a parent - for weird convoluted "kudos/attention-seeking" reasons. Thankfully it was picked up as such and safeguarding systems came in to play etc.

However, I also know of two children who have been supported in their belief that they were born in the "wrong-sex body" and have seen them blossom as they have found acceptance and understanding and support. I am glad that they were able to express that from a fairly young age and were listened to. Not 50 years ( maybe not even 20) that would have not been the case. If I have these encounters in a fairly short timeframe in a small town, then the numbers involved are much greater than maybe one would expect?

I hope that the preservation of fairness for all can keep pace with changes of acceptance, but it does feel like that will be difficult.
Aug 2019
12:29am, 14 Aug 2019
6,456 posts
  •  
Jovi Runner
That western states info is interesting. Why would a female- male athlete choose to enter as a female?
Aug 2019
10:00am, 14 Aug 2019
721 posts
  •  
Vixx
Transmen probably wouldn't enter as female as they'd want to be competing against the men. Reading the policy it looks like WSER are covering their bum.

I entered as male as soon as I could, despite not being on hormones. I did get a lot of funny looks in some races but wouldn't change it.
Aug 2019
10:15am, 14 Aug 2019
42,740 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I agree, Vixx. It's important to (be seen to) cover the largely theoretical risk that a female-to-male transgender athlete whose hormone treatment is well under way but whose documentation hasn't been amended yet might see a prize money opportunity and enter as female.
Aug 2019
11:30am, 14 Aug 2019
6,457 posts
  •  
Jovi Runner
The only issue with having a policy that a M-F has to have undergone medically supervised hormone therapy does not address issues whereby the athletel may still have a testosterone level way higher than they would be permitted to have if competing under IOC rules (would they be the same as WADA rules?). Unless I've not read it correctly and they are saying they would test for testosterone levels as well?

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
This thread is prompted by a discussion on the parkrun thread, after the ladies record at a parkrun ...