Transgender Athletes

97 watchers
Aug 2019
2:50pm, 13 Aug 2019
6,445 posts
  •  
Jovi Runner
I think I've already stated that - a separate category for transgender athletes. If as we are led to believe there are many people that have not until now been free to express this until we were more accepting then there may well be many, many more in future who feel they can transition and therefore a separate category going forward would be entirely reasonable.
Aug 2019
2:50pm, 13 Aug 2019
42,724 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Yes, Jovi, in the specific example I gave a DSD is involved. It was just something that came to mind when bonners commented about transitioning from female to male.
Aug 2019
2:55pm, 13 Aug 2019
6,446 posts
  •  
Jovi Runner
I know it's not everyone's view but I believe the expontential rise in people transitioing (both ways) is due to societal pressure on females/males to confirm to certain societal stereotypes. Rather than surgically/medically alter our bodies to confirm to gender steerotypes everyone would be free to be male/female regardless of whether they present in a "masculine" or "feminine" way.
Aug 2019
3:03pm, 13 Aug 2019
67,638 posts
  •  
Gobi
Jovi - a solution that stops people blending into society is not a solution.
Aug 2019
3:07pm, 13 Aug 2019
2,376 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
Personally I think there's more to it than that. Back, on page 2 PenW posted a link to a report of ongoing research into brain patterns. It's an interesting perspective, but needs more work to confirm or debunk.
I think a lot of the increase in people transitioning is just that people who in the past would just have suffered in silence now know that there is an option and are willing to take it.
Hopefully there will be increased, continuing research because we desperately need an evidence base to try to take some of the heat out of the issue.
Aug 2019
3:11pm, 13 Aug 2019
42,726 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I would contend that it's easier nowadays than it has ever been NOT to conform to traditional gender stereotypes and still, as it were, "find your tribe", or be accepted for who you are. The women who fought to break the barriers that made competitive sport a male domain for so long take at least some of the credit for this.
Aug 2019
3:13pm, 13 Aug 2019
6,447 posts
  •  
Jovi Runner
V'rap - I agree. However I just don't understand why, in the current day and age, if a girl presents with tomboyish attitdues they appear to be now streed down a line of persuading them they must be a boy? Surely that is a backward step and you should be able to present in a "boyish/masculine" manner without the suggestion that therefore makes you stuck in the wrong body and requiring surgery/hormones for the rest of your life.
Aug 2019
3:17pm, 13 Aug 2019
42,727 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
And yes, I wonder whether gender dysphoria and transitioning was Not A Thing until quite recently because we had neither the language to discuss it nor the option of doing anything definitive about it. I have considerable sympathy with my parents' generation when they struggle to get their heads round it and come out with comments that seem breathtakingly crass to their grandchildren.
Aug 2019
3:17pm, 13 Aug 2019
6,448 posts
  •  
Jovi Runner
Also, if removing your breasts and taking hormones equated to making you a man rather than a woman how does that relate to woman who have had mastectomies.hormone therapy. Does that make them a man. Of course we would all sensibly say of course it doesnt . My argument is therefore why, when a man wants to transition to a female because they feel trapped in the wrong body are they told to have surgery? Surely it would be better for that person to say, you are male & accept them for how they present rather than saying they need to change.
Aug 2019
3:22pm, 13 Aug 2019
6,449 posts
  •  
Jovi Runner
My other concern is the issue of hormones. We still do not really know how long term such high dosage hormones of the opposite sex will affect our bodies. Thre is a body of evidence (I agree not definitive) that suggests HRT can increase cancer risk in woman so it does not take a huge leap of faith to consider high dosages into men will have a detrimental effect in the longer term? There are many historical cases of drug companies assuring use that not fully tested drugs were "safe".

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
This thread is prompted by a discussion on the parkrun thread, after the ladies record at a parkrun ...