Over 50's club

5 lurkers | 321 watchers
Dec 2023
5:46pm, 21 Dec 2023
4,463 posts
  •  
jabberknitmas
I survived a very bad case of measles as a baby but otherwise had a childhood with no major injuries or illnesses, although tonsillitis was a regular occurrence. Oddly, I still have my tonsils despite it being almost standard practice to hoick them out of small children in those days.

There was an outbreak of smallpox in Bradford in the early 60s which meant we all had a day off school to go to town for vaccinations, but fortunately it was contained, though there were several deaths. Coincidentally, my OH, growing up in S Wales had to be vaccinated at the same time for the same reason. en.wikipedia.org

As an adult, I've only been to A&E once. The company at my first proper job after uni had a mixed hockey team which I joined. One of my own team hit the ball rather wildly, I didn't duck quickly enough and headed it with my left eyebrow. Cue much bleeding followed by 5 stitches and a tremendous black eye.
Dec 2023
7:30pm, 21 Dec 2023
32,024 posts
  •  
macca 53
Anyone of an age that remembers bread poultices?

Yep, and goose grease
Dec 2023
12:10am, 22 Dec 2023
27,425 posts
  •  
Dvorak
I never definitely broke any bones until I was 47 (arm), though I might have done some ribs at about 35. Both were high speed bike crashes.

As was the time aged 10 or so (I think it was shortly before Betty Stove was in the Wimbledon final) when I went over my handlebars and slid face-first along a red blaes* path. I walked home (about 300m) in silent shock and had to interrupt my mother, who was having her books audited in the front room (she was treasurer of an organisation). Then,I started wailing.

*fine red gravel, which was also the usual covering for school football pitches at the time.
Dec 2023
6:16am, 22 Dec 2023
6,041 posts
  •  
Jingle Jaks
Touch wood, I’ve never had a broken bone. I put it down to all the Ski yoghurt and full fat milk I used to eat/drink as a small child 😂 (dad was a milkman when I was little).
Dec 2023
7:50am, 22 Dec 2023
25,069 posts
  •  
richmachristmas
Never broke a thing as an actual child.

I'll leave out the late teen happenings.
Dec 2023
8:44am, 22 Dec 2023
11,919 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
Despite my forum name, I’ve also never broken anything or had any dramatic injuries (touch wood). My main issues when a child were being laid up by horrible but completely non-serious things like migraines and travel sickness.
Dec 2023
9:23am, 22 Dec 2023
3,516 posts
  •  
Fitz
First broken bone was a fractured arm, aged around 5, falling off a metal barrier across a path that I had pressed into service as a climbing frame.

Last broken bone was a collarbone, skiing injury about 10 years ago.

Remarkably little in between. A few stitches, two broken fingers, no major illnesses. I still have all my original parts - tonsils, appendix, etc. - except for some teeth.
Dec 2023
9:29am, 22 Dec 2023
66,952 posts
  •  
Raptor Tat Tat
I've had no trauma-related broken bones except maybe toes that I've bashed/dropped heavy things on and not had x-rayed. My wrists and clavicles have served me particularly well.

When I was in my late 30s I went to a medical meeting where one of the exhibitors was offering wrist bone density scans. Of course, I was right in there. Curiosity almost killed the dinosaur. I went in there healthy and came out a crumbling old woman with low bone density. The reliability of the test can probably be deduced from the person operating the scanning gadget having said, "I could tell from looking at you that you would be low."

(I'd still quite like to know my actual bone density but the risks of getting the information outweigh the benefits at the moment.)
Dec 2023
9:36am, 22 Dec 2023
10,441 posts
  •  
Eynsham the Red Knows Rain Dear
I had a green stick fracture in one of my legs when I was a toddler. I have no recollection of it but was apparently my big sister fell on me and that’s what caused it!
I choose to remind her of what a bully she was occasionally 😀
Dec 2023
11:11am, 22 Dec 2023
3,039 posts
  •  
Flatlander
I had a green stick fracture in one of my legs when I was a toddler. I have no recollection of it but was apparently my big sister fell on me and that’s what caused it!
I choose to remind her of what a bully she was occasionally

Make the most of it! ;-)

About This Thread

Maintained by Sweaty Frank
Here are the Over 50s League Tables

fetcheveryone.com/league?year=2021&age=50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.