Over 50's club

1 lurker | 321 watchers
Dec 2023
11:19am, 22 Dec 2023
83,450 posts
  •  
Diogenes
Never broken a bone (yet)

Worst childhood injury was a a three year old when I had 3 stitches in my forehead after being hit by a swing.

Dislocated the end joint of my middle finger playing cricket - squeezed it back in place and carried on.

Ruptured an ACL playing football in my mid-twenties. That was the most painful thing. Reconstructive surgery sorted that.

After that nothing bad apart from two major surgeries 2016 & 2018
Dec 2023
11:30am, 22 Dec 2023
3,040 posts
  •  
Flatlander
You're doing well, Dio.

Other are making up for your good fortune by having multiple injures themselves.
Dec 2023
11:31am, 22 Dec 2023
3,041 posts
  •  
Flatlander
The company at my first proper job after uni had a mixed hockey team which I joined. One of my own team hit the ball rather wildly, I didn't duck quickly enough and headed it with my left eyebrow. Cue much bleeding followed by 5 stitches and a tremendous black eye.

With regards to jabberknit 's comment, yes, eyebrows and head injuries do tend to bleed profusely as I found out when I fell on my face. By the time I was collected by ambulance and taken to A+E both the front and back of my jacket and shirt were soaked in blood from the eyebrow! I also developed a very black eye, as well as my teeth going numb due to the swelling compressing the dental nerve. I declined minor surgery to hook my cheekbone back in place due to a fractured zygomatic arch - I now have a slightly depressed and lowered cheekbone. At least A+E found that fracture - they missed the fractured rib and wrist! :-o

When I damage myself, I make a good job of it! :-p
Dec 2023
11:37am, 22 Dec 2023
49,992 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
when I had my kick in the head I hardly noticed it
was only just caught by the hoof so finished what I was doing before going into the house
by the time I got there my tee shirt was red and mother was scared witless rushing me straight to A&E
They took longer to get the info about what had happened than to see me - I had 3-4 stitches and was sent home
I told my friends I had walked into the corner of an open cupboard! No way I was telling them I was kicked in the head by a horse!
Dec 2023
11:55am, 22 Dec 2023
4,277 posts
  •  
Bob!
I broke my brother's leg playing football.

He had to go back to the hospital about every fortnight to to replace the bottom of the plaster cast.

He kept wearing it out as he had to play in goal whilst in plaster!
Dec 2023
11:59am, 22 Dec 2023
7,378 posts
  •  
bigleggy
Fell sideways off the top diving board in a swimming pool. Hit my head on the side as I hit the water. Got away with only 4 stitches.

Also fell into the corner of a wall playing football and got 6 stitches in my head for that one. Wasn't too bad at the time but as my hairline receeds it's more and more visible these days.

Mum was a nurse and could diagnose illness as good as any Doctor. So I never had a day off school by blagging illness. Quick temperature check and a feel under my jawline and I was off to school :-)
Dec 2023
12:07pm, 22 Dec 2023
27,427 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Some good injuries there. Never had any stitches. Tonsils out aged five. Never had a stay in hospital since. Time off school extended post tonsillectomy by terrible earache.
Dec 2023
12:09pm, 22 Dec 2023
3,042 posts
  •  
Flatlander
Bob! Your brother must have been made of stern stuff to have played in goal with a plaster cast on his leg. :-)

My eyebrow cut needed 10 stitches - probably why it bled so much! That eyebrow is now a bit shorter than the other one since the double scar goes through the outer end of it. My lopsided eyebrows complement my lopsided cheekbones. ;-)
Dec 2023
12:14pm, 22 Dec 2023
49,995 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
When I "broke" my arm I was pleased that the cast was at right angles as this meant I could still ride the horses with it! I even did some horse shows with my arm in plaster
Dec 2023
12:16pm, 22 Dec 2023
32,572 posts
  •  
HellsBells
Measles, mumps and German measles as a child but I didn’t get chicken pox until I was 21

About This Thread

Maintained by Sweaty Frank
Here are the Over 50s League Tables

fetcheveryone.com/league?year=2021&age=50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.