Over 50's club

3 lurkers | 321 watchers
Dec 2023
2:58pm, 21 Dec 2023
37,269 posts
  •  
Ness
Actually, when I said two things. I should have said three. Pix just reminded me. At middle school, I fell over in the playground. Was messing about with friends and one of them was holding my hands behind my back at the time. Landed face first and knocked chunks out of my two top front teeth!
Dec 2023
3:07pm, 21 Dec 2023
62,990 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Standard weekly events for us:

Fetched all skin off a limb fallinv off a bike or home made trolley

Split head open

Risked blood poisoning ('It'll kill yer, yer know') writing on self, or brother with a pen

Flattened finger or thumb with a hammer

Nearly got run over by dad's lorry backing into the yard

Maybe we'd have been better off watching more of John Craven's Newsround?
Dec 2023
3:18pm, 21 Dec 2023
3,031 posts
  •  
Flatlander
My childhood was relatively uneventful.

About age 7/8 I put my wrist through the front door glass window, because I couldn't understand why my older brother wouldn't go to the corner shop 2 doors away to get the door key off our Mum. Fortunately I missed the artery :-) . Even though they were small cuts, they bled a lot, and I still have the scars several decades later.

At school, two off my front teeth were broken when the head of another boy running around a post smashed into my mouth. He got taken to hospital to have my teeth removed from his head! :-o

Nothing much else that I remember until I was about 16, when on working weekend at a Scout Camp on the edge of London I trod on a nail. It wasn't until the blood was swishing about in my shoe that I realised that I had done it! The Scout Leader put a plaster on it, and at the end when we had finished the work, we were driven back home and I was left to hobble 2/3rd mile home. Thanks Scout Leader! When my Dad found out he wasn't pleased that I hadn't been taken to hospital, and said he'd sue the Scouts if I lost my foot. He didn't take me to hospital though. Thanks Dad!
Dec 2023
3:19pm, 21 Dec 2023
3,032 posts
  •  
Flatlander
Things started happening to me when I became an adult.

I had a couple of serious incidents which I eventually recovered from.

Then starting in 2016 I became a regular visitor to A+E with several major health problems - over about 2 1/2 years I had 7 problems. The "good" thing about a major health problem is that you get seen straight away in A+E :-) (although that might no longer apply these days). Thankfully, the last almost 5 years have been quiet, with no visits. :-)

I've just jinxed myself, haven't I? ;-)
Dec 2023
3:20pm, 21 Dec 2023
62,991 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
" At school, two off my front teeth were broken when the head of another boy running around a post smashed into my mouth. He got taken to hospital to have my teeth removed from his head! "

Love this :-)
Dec 2023
3:25pm, 21 Dec 2023
49,965 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
How did we get to adulthood?

Must have been the TCP diluted with a splash of water
Dec 2023
3:26pm, 21 Dec 2023
15,559 posts
  •  
57.5 Days of Xmas
Not dangerous in the 70s:

Driving in rusty tin boxes without a seat belt.
Climbing in the high walls of historic ruins.
Messing around in derelict factories, old mine workings, other toxic former industrial sites.
Playing with Mercury.
E numbers, pesticides, artificial sweeteners.
Climbing trees.
Trainspotting in working railway yards.
Sunburn.

DANGEROUS in the 70s:

Running with scissors.
Talking to strangers.
Swimming after a meal.
Quicksand.
Swallowing fish bones.
Going out in the winter without a coat.
Dec 2023
3:28pm, 21 Dec 2023
15,560 posts
  •  
57.5 Days of Xmas
How did we get to adulthood? Must have been the TCP diluted with a splash of water
Diluted TCP? You were lucky.

I thought the active ingredient of TCP was the deterrent effect of the sting.

Witch hazel for used for some things. Forget what.
Dec 2023
3:28pm, 21 Dec 2023
37,270 posts
  •  
Ness
That's about right! 😂
Dec 2023
3:32pm, 21 Dec 2023
3,034 posts
  •  
Flatlander
Not dangerous in the 70s:

Very similar to the 1960s. It was common to play in the rubble of WWII bomb sites.
I'd better not mention what climbing I did on my 4 storey home when I was about 7-10 years old, some of you might faint with fright! ;-)

About This Thread

Maintained by Sweaty Frank
Here are the Over 50s League Tables

fetcheveryone.com/league?year=2021&age=50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.