Over 50's club

4 lurkers | 321 watchers
Dec 2023
3:50pm, 21 Dec 2023
32,022 posts
  •  
macca 53
TCP for cleaning cuts and grazes then Germolene on the plaster to “help it heal?” Bicarbonate of soda on bee stings and vinegar on wasp stings (or was it the other way round)?

A comfrey leaf and crepe bandage for sprains.

Luckily I’ve never broken a bone (*touches wood*) 🤞
Dec 2023
3:53pm, 21 Dec 2023
31,276 posts
  •  
Nicholls595
Dock leaf for nettle sting?

3 fractured wrists before the age of 11. Falling off a 5 bar gate, falling out of an apple tree, being tripped in a game of playground football.
Dec 2023
3:58pm, 21 Dec 2023
3,035 posts
  •  
Flatlander
I still use dock leaves for nettle stings. Fortunately, the nettles in my garden are non-stinging.

No fractures as a child, but 6 as an adult. I no longer bounce so well. ;-)
Dec 2023
4:19pm, 21 Dec 2023
83,443 posts
  •  
Diogenes
I never broke any bones or had any of the usual childhood illnesses (apart from a mild case of German measles). This is despite normal games being things like stone fights and seeing who could climb the highest, and jump of the highest roof. We explored abandoned buildings and literally played with fire.

We would tear around everywhere on our bikes without helmets and having never taken cycling proficiency tests - we didn't need those, we knew how to ride a bike, even no-handed when doing a wheelie, and especially how to do skids, and jump over things, or jump of the bike when doing top speed.

When I lived the countryside I would roam over the downs all day, sometimes on my own. When we were back in London we would get Red Bus Rover tickets and travel across the city, getting back just in time for dinner.

It's a wonder nothing happened.
Dec 2023
4:25pm, 21 Dec 2023
3,036 posts
  •  
Flatlander
It's a wonder nothing happened

and you probably had a childhood full of wonder. :-)
Dec 2023
4:31pm, 21 Dec 2023
9,813 posts
  •  
DoricQuine
Anyone of an age that remembers bread poultices?
Dec 2023
5:10pm, 21 Dec 2023
17,978 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Broke my left wrist aged 4 and then managed to get to 40 when I broke the other wrist. Since then have broken my foot and a few ribs.

Oh forgot had a finger broken in a school hockey match!!!
Dec 2023
5:33pm, 21 Dec 2023
14,006 posts
  •  
Meeps
Broke my leg as an adult playing football (I trod on the ball), got to keep the 2 plates and 11 screws when they got taken out a year later.
Dec 2023
5:40pm, 21 Dec 2023
65,615 posts
  •  
LindsD
Got knocked over aged 5 because I was walking on my heels in the playground and Dale Dobson ran into me. Blood everywhere and broke my nose. The dinner lady put butter on it. :-0

Eventually had to get my deviated septum repaired aged 43 because the fact that that side of my nose was blocked had caused a sinus infection that lasted a year before I finally got it sorted out :-0. Not caused the infection, of course, but caused it not to clear up, despite several courses of antibiotics.
Dec 2023
5:45pm, 21 Dec 2023
49,970 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
I had a bucket of paint tipped over my head as a toddler …. I was trying to paint the rocking horse red

Hooping cough put me in an oxygen tent

Had my arm in plaster for 6 weeks only to be told the serious fracture of my elbow (fell off a horse) was a growth line

About This Thread

Maintained by Sweaty Frank
Here are the Over 50s League Tables

fetcheveryone.com/league?year=2021&age=50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.