Over 50's club

4 lurkers | 321 watchers
Dec 2023
12:35pm, 22 Dec 2023
3,044 posts
  •  
Flatlander
I don't remember getting measles, mumps or German measles, or any other common diseases such as Whooping Cough as a child, just some sore throats and earaches. Very little time off school, or work as an adult, for illnesses. Chickenpox for the first time in my mid to late 30s was very unpleasant. :-(
Dec 2023
1:09pm, 22 Dec 2023
15,581 posts
  •  
57.5 Days of Xmas
I've been lucky enough to avoid any broken bones, operations or even requiring a stitch. Despite years of hockey, cycling (I'm pretty defensive) and skiing (not defensive at all). One dislocated finger being ejected from a while water raft, relocated before I recovered from the shock of the cold water.

Also fully intact so far with no subtractions (other than parts of the odd tooth) or additions (implants, glasses). Plenty of scarring on elbows from assorted falls running and biking.

Now watch me fall off my bike on the way home tonight...
Dec 2023
1:14pm, 22 Dec 2023
41,756 posts
  •  
Nellers
I don't remember having measles or German Measles but I definitely had Chickenpox. I also had Mumps so badly that I was almost hospitalised when I was 6. Caused a family holiday to be postponed for a week and my mum, bless her, never let me forget that.
Dec 2023
1:18pm, 22 Dec 2023
15,582 posts
  •  
57.5 Days of Xmas
Communicable diseases have been slightly more exciting. Chicken pox age 12 or so was awful, and I had flu in the 1978/9 epidemic (several weeks in bed, no taste or smell for a couple of months after recovery). And two unpleasant bouts of malaria while working in Malawi. Covid was nasty but only comes 5th on the list.
Dec 2023
1:20pm, 22 Dec 2023
17,981 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
I am minus a few body items - tonsils, gall bladder, womb and ovaries - oh and a couple of teeth
Dec 2023
1:25pm, 22 Dec 2023
66,956 posts
  •  
Raptor Tat Tat
I was apparently really ill with measles when I was about 5 (all I remember is getting through box after box of paper hankies but Mum says I had a high fever and was delirious much of the time). I had chickenpox at 22 when I was working on a hospital unit that included the haematology patients, and mumps at 40 because of Wakefield, The Lancet and Carol Vorderman.
Dec 2023
1:26pm, 22 Dec 2023
66,957 posts
  •  
Raptor Tat Tat
All body parts still present as far as I'm aware, though.
Dec 2023
2:35pm, 22 Dec 2023
3,047 posts
  •  
Flatlander
I've still got the important bits of my body, although some of them have been rearranged :-p (see cheekbone and eyebrow previous page, and a collar bone).

Some small bits removed - 4 surgeries to cut out diseased tissue from my hands and fingers, another 1 or 2 to come).
Dec 2023
2:47pm, 22 Dec 2023
3,048 posts
  •  
Flatlander
Also removed were all my wisdom teeth (one not present, one non-erupted, the other two displaced). That was done in 1982 under general anaesthetic. The surgery was OK, just soreness and a chipmunk face for a week or so, although despite it being scheduled as an overnight stay I was kept in for 3 days due to a slightly raised temperature.

The real problem was post GA. For months afterwards I was dreadfully fatigued and couldn't do much - it was 6 months before the fatigue finally disappeared.

The next GA was 25 years later for my 1st hand surgery. In the pre-op assessment I was asked if previously I had had any reaction to GA, so I told them about the wisdom teeth fatigue. They said that GAs had improved considerably since then and I shouldn't have a problem this time. I took a chance that they weren't lying and had the GA. They weren't lying :-) . No fatigue!
Dec 2023
3:51pm, 22 Dec 2023
6,031 posts
  •  
RRR-CAZmas 🇬🇧
I suffered with meningitis in last year of junior school was a very lucky boy to come out the other side was given a lumbar puncture my mum said at one point I was all but dead 💀.

Broken nose whilst in the forces they didn’t want to know as it was due to fighting. Operated on years later but still not great.

About This Thread

Maintained by Sweaty Frank
Here are the Over 50s League Tables

fetcheveryone.com/league?year=2021&age=50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.