Garmin Status - what does Garmin say about you today?!

26 watchers
Aug 2023
2:17pm, 15 Aug 2023
16,467 posts
  •  
Badger
I'm getting loads of adverts for Stryd just now, but I'm not tempted. I don't need to risk being distracted by even more essentially unmodifiable data.

I bought one second-hand a while back and used it for road racing.
It does two useful things. It calculates a critical power for you and changes in that represent changes in your fitness. And it makes that actionable by giving you a target power (based on the critical power) for a race of a given distance; following that guides you quantitatively in how hard to work overall and how much to ease off uphill and push on downhill.
I tried this for St Neots Half one year and ran a PB by a minute or so without blowing up; don't do enough road racing to have kept up using it, but certainly for that race, and a few parkruns, I thought it did a pretty good job of setting me a work rate that was hard but achievable.
Aug 2023
2:21pm, 15 Aug 2023
45,712 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
have located the garmin running power thingy so lets see what it says on my run home
SPR
Aug 2023
3:33pm, 15 Aug 2023
42,212 posts
  •  
SPR
Badger misread what you were saying. It makes sense if 5 is the lowest it can get to that, you might sit there for a bit if you spend a long time working while at 5 (so getting worse without the number changing). It still feels wrong though, lol.
Aug 2023
3:33pm, 15 Aug 2023
29,692 posts
  •  
Rosehip
So is there any useful to be done with the Garmin ‘power’ data? I can see it being more useful in races than HR which can be affected by all sorts of things
Aug 2023
3:34pm, 15 Aug 2023
45,718 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
no idea RH!
just thought I would have a look
Aug 2023
3:39pm, 15 Aug 2023
2,775 posts
  •  
Big_G
I have Stryd but can’t really recommend it, sadly. I initially liked it but later realised that the Air Power feature just doesn’t work (I had a long email conversation with Stryd about this, and basically there was nothing wrong with my device, and from their point of view it’s working as designed), the power numbers differ depending on what shoes I wear (so the power produced in my ‘training’ shoes differs to that in my ‘racing’ shoes, making it difficult to know what power numbers to use on race day). Also, I cannot understand why Stryd strongly recommends you to not adjust your weight if you lose or gain as, from cycling, the power to weight ratio is partly dependent on the weight aspect!

If the Air Power had worked I’d have liked it a lot more as, in theory, if running into a headwind it would have still been possible to run at the required power (not worrying about pace), but it just didn’t work at all after quite a lot of testing. I did like the app and interface though.

For me, when I felt it was working okay in good conditions and shoes it had got to ‘know’, I found a strong correlation between HR and Power, as you’d expect I suppose, so I’ve reverted back to HR. One good thing about power is that changes in power are noticed pretty much instantly, whereas changes in HR can take a few second to catch up.
SPR
Aug 2023
3:41pm, 15 Aug 2023
42,213 posts
  •  
SPR
What you said RH would be the theory if you had numbers you could work with. If it's internally consistent as Vrap said, it could work.

It can be interesting to compare power between uphill efforts and flat/ downhill.

I've had it for ages though and not really paid it much attention and don't know my general numbers.
Aug 2023
9:27am, 16 Aug 2023
45,739 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
BB bottomed at 5 last night and got to 52 this morning
SS 70 Fair
still strained with low HRV but please go to a 50 min base training run

I did weights instead

No power stuff on my run yesterday - wonder if I need to do something more than install it?
SPR
Aug 2023
9:41am, 16 Aug 2023
42,230 posts
  •  
SPR
If your Garmin does power, you shouldn't need to install anything other than have the latest update.
Aug 2023
9:41am, 16 Aug 2023
29,704 posts
  •  
Rosehip
HRV still balanced and now just a little above the bottom, hoping that’s me ‘recovered’ ?
Training readiness - moderate , “you didn’t sleep good last night (6 hrs, 70/fair) but overall readiness looks good”
Suggestion was 26 mins recovery again.
Did 45 easyish.

About This Thread

Maintained by EvilPixie
According to my Garmin this morning my body battery was at just 41 and I was "strained"
I have been strained for most days in the last 2 weeks
My body battery has also been low

So today it suggested a threshold run of up to an hour!

What's your Garmin say?