Transgender Athletes

97 watchers
Aug 2019
5:55am, 15 Aug 2019
4,054 posts
  •  
1step2far
Jovi, I'm with Trin, you make points but I've felt an undercurrent of fear there and the language used has not been helpful at times. Stating the law as it stands is fair enough, but you will be challenged (I hope I try to kindly and fairly).

But the law where Gay and Trans equality has often been wrong or quite frankly out right hostile- equality for age of consent, section 28, gay marriage. Time and opinions change, I for one have seen the world turn on its head in 20 odd years. (For the better buy don't mistake this for having a very long way to go).

Yes, this is Fetch. Quite possibly one of tte safest places I have known on the internet. Yes we do need to be kind to each other In our debates. This is a topic that stirs strong opinions on both sides. The language used needs to be chosen carefully. I've had people say to me 'I don't mince my words... I'll call you what you are'... but that's a whole other story.

If you want to call people out do it elsewhere. This is not the thread for it. I for one welcome open debate, discussion. I and so many have learnt alot. Let's keep learning...
Aug 2019
6:14am, 15 Aug 2019
1,750 posts
  •  
PenW
By my understanding (I am no expert) both sex and gender reassignment are protected characteristics under the Equality Act. That means that we cannot discriminate people based on their sex but also cannot discriminate based on gender reassignment (whether or not someone has gone through transition). Competitive sports (e.g. categories of competition) is one of the exceptions (see below) so long as the organisers show that this is the only way for the event to be fair for everyone, but changing room use is not an exception.

equalityhumanrights.com

equalityhumanrights.com

The whole discussion on this thread is so very complex with so many areas to consider that I had never previously thought about. Thank you to the contributors for bringing these up and in particular to those who have voiced their experiences.

As several people have said on this thread. Let’s all be kind and considerate to one another as fetchies.
Aug 2019
6:40am, 15 Aug 2019
6,481 posts
  •  
Jovi Runner
So no one commenting on the video from the expert in the field of genetics but plenty of people accusing me of being controversial. Has anyone watched thst video. If you have I don't understand why an expert in the field of gender & biology is so easily being dismissed? As the thread is about transgender athletes perhaps for the purposes of fair discussion someone could comment on their thoughts spoken by the expert on the matter if you think I am not qualified to so so or tha I am only espousing my prejudices. I'm genuinely interested why no one is commenting on thst video which gives a clear & concise summary of, among other things, how the IOC came to it's conclusions on transgender athletes competing? Surely that video is exactly on topic within this forum?
Aug 2019
6:48am, 15 Aug 2019
2,387 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
Maybe because you posted it after 11:30pm last night and most people have been asleep since then?
I will watch it when I have 21 minutes to put aside without interruptions so I can concentrate on it, but that won't be until this evening at the earliest and possibly the weekend.
Aug 2019
6:57am, 15 Aug 2019
4,055 posts
  •  
1step2far
I've been up since 20 past 5. I watched 5 mins. But I'm already at work so I cant comment on something I have been unable to watch. I'm sorry. But I will watch it when I have time.
Aug 2019
6:59am, 15 Aug 2019
4,056 posts
  •  
1step2far
If you can link to an open access version of their published paper(s) I can read fast and probably at lunch. If you can that'll be great thank you. But video takes longer.
Aug 2019
6:59am, 15 Aug 2019
6,482 posts
  •  
Jovi Runner
Thanks everyone. Ye, apologies, after posting I realised thst was probably the case but I would encourage those posting in the forum to have a watch - it is very informative on the topic.
Aug 2019
7:01am, 15 Aug 2019
6,483 posts
  •  
Jovi Runner
Istep2far - how do I do that? It took me ages to work out how to just post a video link here! LOL
Aug 2019
7:04am, 15 Aug 2019
6,484 posts
  •  
Jovi Runner
1step2far - is this it? fairplayforwomen.com
Aug 2019
7:24am, 15 Aug 2019
4,057 posts
  •  
1step2far
I'll look at whether lunch time. Thank you.

By open access I mean l, as an expert her research will have been published in a peer reviewed journal... It may be a hard to find but if you can find any I will be interested and take the time to read.

Right work to do! :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
This thread is prompted by a discussion on the parkrun thread, after the ladies record at a parkrun ...