Transgender Athletes

2 lurkers | 97 watchers
Aug 2019
8:15pm, 14 Aug 2019
4,048 posts
  •  
1step2far
What rf_fozzy said!!! Exactly that. These are the same arguments of 20, 30, 40 years go. The same for equalising gay sex from 21 to 18 and then to 16. Gay men were 'predatory' etc etc etc. Nothing of the sort has happened. If anything, things improved no end.

Seren I'm sorry, seems changing rooms were awful for so many :-(
Aug 2019
8:19pm, 14 Aug 2019
6,868 posts
  •  
Jambomo
Whilst that is awful MsG and should not happen, it is mixing the two points, Transgender issues (specifically self-Id) and offensive/criminal behaviour. There is no evidence to say that wide-scale abuse occurring in changing facilities has or will increase because transgender people can use them.
Aug 2019
8:48pm, 14 Aug 2019
15,096 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
theguardian.com
Aug 2019
9:00pm, 14 Aug 2019
552 posts
  •  
smash
I've watched this thread with interest. I've learnt a lot, and had to step away often.

There seems to be a lot of fear here. Lots of 'someone might do x'. It's sad that there's so much suspicion and that some just expect people to act in the worst possible way. The trans people I have known just want to get on with their lives, just like everyone else.

All types of people can be shits but most are not and being so angry and scared about stuff that might happen must be exhausting.

Personally, the only time I care about what is in other people's pants is if I'm going to be touching it. The rest of the time it's none of my damn business.
Aug 2019
9:13pm, 14 Aug 2019
553 posts
  •  
smash
I'm also sorry to hear of everyone's experiences of attack by other humans. I know how that feels
Aug 2019
9:21pm, 14 Aug 2019
15,097 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
All this sharing of changing room issues really has come as a shock to me as its something I have never come across. Well apart from once when some fecker nicked my wallet. The fact that issues seem to be from females is something I cant get my head around.

Most men just seem to come in get changed and get on with things with no issue.

The most uncomfortable I have felt was when my work was refurbing the showers and for a while the first batch of new cubicles were unisex and I just didnt feel comfortable knowing a female was showering in the cubicle next to me or outside drying her hair.
Aug 2019
9:35pm, 14 Aug 2019
784 posts
  •  
Trin
Bad, that's one of the differences between men and women. Men tend to be more straightforward to other men, women to women is a whole different story
Aug 2019
9:41pm, 14 Aug 2019
5,314 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
I have a 24-year career in the armed forces behind me and am absolutely comfortable with communal changing, however I have to say that a year or so back I was getting changed after a Saturday morning swim and the changing room was invaded by a couple of elderly ladies and their grandsons. This made me very uncomfortable and I complained both to them and the centre manager. Somehow it came across that I was moaning about nothing!
Aug 2019
9:48pm, 14 Aug 2019
42,754 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Invaded? Was this a male changing room where the presence of the adult women was inappropriate, and a situation in which a family cubicle would have solved the problem of what to do when a woman is supervising a boy who is young enough to need supervision but might be considered too old to be allowed into the female changing room?
Aug 2019
9:50pm, 14 Aug 2019
5,315 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
Yes, that would certainly have been the case.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
This thread is prompted by a discussion on the parkrun thread, after the ladies record at a parkrun ...