Transgender Athletes

97 watchers
Aug 2019
7:13pm, 14 Aug 2019
4,038 posts
  •  
1step2far
Aww thank you Fetch.

I normally am... but when people are scared- such as changing rooms they say and do daft things. They protect themselves from me. But if you ask them in a different environment they would never say they were homo or trans phobic.

Mixed changing rooms with separate cubicles are the way to go. I work in a building with gender neutral toilets. They are the most amazing thing ever. (And I never thought I'd say this, I'll admit I rolled my eyes when it was 1st mentioned) It's safe and I don't have to look over my shoulder. :-)

If people want to do bad things they wont be doing it the hard way.

It's odd, when people ask if I ever get much trouble I say no. As I don't but adding it up I have had my fair share. Sorry if I've wandered off topic!
MsG
Aug 2019
7:14pm, 14 Aug 2019
1,221 posts
  •  
MsG
For an example of the misuse of equality legislation look up the case of Jessica Yaniv. NSFW!!
Aug 2019
7:20pm, 14 Aug 2019
4,040 posts
  •  
1step2far
MsG that case bears no relevance to Athletes or changing rooms which I admit is only vaguley relevant as it's something to endure if I want to partake in sports.

There is alot of discussion to be had outside of this forum. Mumnet will a good one. But not here. There are exceptions to everything. We could be here all day if we wanted to draw up lists. But it's not sport, in particular running and the struggles that are faced by groups that on the whole just want to be left to run, swim, cycle in peace and safety.
Aug 2019
7:20pm, 14 Aug 2019
6,474 posts
  •  
Jovi Runner
Msg- I think were in the minority with our concerns unfortunately.

I do accept that those determined to do harm will always find away but why make it easier for them to appease what we are told is a tiny minority.
Aug 2019
7:24pm, 14 Aug 2019
4,041 posts
  •  
1step2far
OMG. These were the arguments that I was having 20 years ago! Why should I be allowed in the changing room? I mean, I like women... therefore I may pounce on anyone that takes my fancy. Therefore, by your argument I should not be allowed within 100 mtrs of a changing room or swimming pool? I'm a danger to anyone. Why appease me? I should be shut away to change on my own? (I've done that more than enough times for my own protection- I'm in more danger than you are!)
Aug 2019
7:27pm, 14 Aug 2019
6,863 posts
  •  
Jambomo
Jovi, There is really nothing stopping potential male attackers from doing these things now, they aren’t waiting to be allowed into changing rooms to do what they want, they will (and are) doing it anyway.

We aren’t trying to “appease a minority” what we need to do is to find a way to make society work for everyone. That includes transgender people.

I agree with you that it should not impact upon anyone else’s rights - which is where athletics is finding it so difficult, because there is no easy or clear way forward.

Yet things such as mixed changing already exist and work perfectly well in the majority of cases - there is no reason that measure such as this should not be brought in where it is clear it is a solution.
Aug 2019
7:29pm, 14 Aug 2019
6,864 posts
  •  
Jambomo
Besides how many people actually like shared changing rooms? I like privacy, my own cubicle in a mixed changing place like the swimming pool would be my preference than stripping off in front of other women.
Aug 2019
7:30pm, 14 Aug 2019
22,561 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Confused.

Is the issue that there are men pretending to be women to gain access to women’s changing rooms? Or that putting everyone in together causes more problems? Or something else?
Aug 2019
2,372 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
Perhaps people are too quick to confuse gender and sexual preference?
Aug 2019
7,644 posts
  •  
KatieB
This is not massively on topic but I’ve typed out many posts about changing rooms and what I think and I can’t get it written in a way that i’m happy with but mostly I just feel really angry that you’ve been treated like that 1step and i’m sorry you have to put up with it. That’s unacceptable. If I was in a changing room with you I would challenge anyone who challenged you. Even though i’m pretty puny tbh.

Very grateful for this thread and the informative contributions.

We just need to keep sharing thoughts in a respectful way and remember that we are (mostly) all just human beings who want to do sport and not even looking at the person changing next to us. I’m generally just doing my best to tuck my cellulite into my wetsuit as quickly as possible.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
This thread is prompted by a discussion on the parkrun thread, after the ladies record at a parkrun ...