Transgender Athletes

2 lurkers | 97 watchers
Aug 2019
6:54pm, 14 Aug 2019
6,473 posts
  •  
Jovi Runner
Thanks MsG - I was beginning to think I was the only female concerned with allowing men into female changing facilities. Where there are cubicles it is perhaps not as bad but most of the gyms I've been to have predominantly open plan changing facilities with maybe only one or two at most private cubicles.
Aug 2019
6:55pm, 14 Aug 2019
6,861 posts
  •  
Jambomo
Every system is open to potential abuse by someone and people determined to do bad things aren’t waiting to break rules, they are doing it anyway.

We can’t based major societal decisions on fear. We have to put in place the society we want and then deal with those who break the laws in the same way as ever.
Aug 2019
6:56pm, 14 Aug 2019
22,559 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
It’s horrible that this happens in open plan changing rooms, but how does that relate to self-identifying trans women?
Aug 2019
6:58pm, 14 Aug 2019
6,862 posts
  •  
Jambomo
I agree with Fozzy that single cubicles is the way forward. We are already familiar with them at swimming pools and some shops have mixed changing cubicles.
Aug 2019
7:02pm, 14 Aug 2019
22,560 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
1step - I know I’ve met you at least once, and probably more than once. My overriding recollection is of a lovely smiley person who just doesn’t deserve to be treated in that way. That made me very sad :-(
Aug 2019
7:07pm, 14 Aug 2019
9,007 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
"I also assume that mixed sex facilities be definition exclude Muslim woman as they aren't permitted to share facilities with men - whether they are attending a women only swim session or a mixed session?"

I guess that would depend how you define "mixed sex" changing area. And the Islamic person's interpretation of mixed sex changing area.

I would interpret a *unisex* (to use the correct term) changing area to be one, as found in many leisure centres, to be one where the area is open to both sexes, but the actual changing rooms are individual cubicles.

Therefore when occupied, each cubicle is single sex.

I've never seen any Islamic organisation in this country object to such areas. A quick google has found an article (the only one I could find) from 2007 where the Muslim council of Britain suggested schools *could* consider providing individual shower cubicles for students because: "Islam forbids nakedness in front of others or being among others who are naked. Muslim children should not be expected to participate in communal showering"

However, given that this is the only instance of this appearing, I doubt it is a major issue.

MsG - thanks for that list on Mumsnet. I do note that a quick glance down them suggests that a least a sizeable minority seems to be people complaining about *potential* issues. And a number about prisons - which is a separate issue.

I'm not minimising or dismissing any particular examples raised, but there is a substantial hysteria surrounding trans issues, particularly in parts of the US and a number of those examples would seem, on first glance, to fall into that category.
Aug 2019
7:08pm, 14 Aug 2019
9,008 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
"We can’t based major societal decisions on fear. We have to put in place the society we want and then deal with those who break the laws in the same way as ever."

I couldn't agree with this statement more.
Aug 2019
7:09pm, 14 Aug 2019
13,619 posts
  •  
Serendippily
Yes. One under attack. One under fear of attack :-(
MsG
Aug 2019
7:12pm, 14 Aug 2019
1,220 posts
  •  
MsG
Fetch - removing restrictions on female only spaces makes it easier for them to be abused. Particularly self-id.
Aug 2019
7:12pm, 14 Aug 2019
13,620 posts
  •  
Serendippily
And 1step I’m so sorry for what you’ve suffered. And V’rap. And would echo how vicious girls and boys can be if they feel themselves under attack. And how hard it is to find a place that is safe. And how upsetting it is if that space is taken away from you. And that affects both sides of this discussion :-(

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
This thread is prompted by a discussion on the parkrun thread, after the ladies record at a parkrun ...