parkrun Café

124 watchers
21 Sep
11:52am, 21 Sep 2024
4,030 posts
  •  
Big_G
A nice turn out from my club today at Parke. A young couple getting married, who have this as their home parkrun, and help out a lot. He’s got about 97 first finishers but ‘only’ managed 3rd today, but he can often be seen number scanning and/or cheering people in from start to finish. A lovely couple and obviously a lot of people wanted to help celebrate.

Before the event the parkrun had advertised it, and did a nice speech at the start too. Looks to be about 57 there in the pic, which boosted the numbers a lot. Looks like it was the joint highest turnout at the event (241), tied with Xmas Eve 2016.

21 Sep
11:54am, 21 Sep 2024
27,419 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I have just realised I have run seven times since my last volunteer as I was aiming for the 200th. As a result my ration for this year is less than I would like.

I will volunteer next week and try to reset the balance, but also have in my mind an aim to get to 250 by the end of 2025 if I can.
21 Sep
1:09pm, 21 Sep 2024
1,200 posts
  •  
sparklecloud
With parkrun attendance I've been a lot more consistent since I started my run streak (beginning of 2020) - had a lot of 'can't be bothered' Saturdays before that. This year has been my best ever though I think - only missed it once, in March, for a Saturday race.

The last time before that was the first weekend of December 2023 when the entirety of northeast England was cancelled for weather (barring two events in Teesside, but there was no way my wee car was getting down there in the snow).

I won't be as good next year as I know I've got at least two Saturday races booked :)

Lovely relaxed run at Rising Sun this morning, which is my nominated 'roll out of bed' parkrun. Can hop in the car at 8:40am and still be there in plenty of time, especially as they usually start five minutes late.
21 Sep
5:43pm, 21 Sep 2024
12,984 posts
  •  
Jason1969
One of my local events often starts late and on the day they started on time, someone complained.
21 Sep
7:47pm, 21 Sep 2024
81,682 posts
  •  
Gobi
I remember someone getting upset and saying the briefing starts at 9.

They were corrected.

Different RDs are not always consistent
22 Sep
2:46pm, 22 Sep 2024
1,102 posts
  •  
Dibble
I aim to start the run at 9:00, my fellow RD's tend to start later. I'm used to both compliments and complaints for my approach, but the regulars know if they see me on the roster they need to be on time!
22 Sep
3:03pm, 22 Sep 2024
44,904 posts
  •  
Ness
It was suggested that I might start the briefing early yesterday. I think with it being my first go at being RD it was expected that I might talk too much! 🤣 As far as I know I was spot on time! 😉 Nobody complained anyway!
22 Sep
7:17pm, 22 Sep 2024
35,188 posts
  •  
LorraineS
what are folks thoughts about the 'dedication' wall email?
22 Sep
7:35pm, 22 Sep 2024
71,047 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I didn't get the email. I don't get any parkrun emails apart from my results. When it says "digital donor wall", does that mean they want money in exchange for being featured?
22 Sep
7:38pm, 22 Sep 2024
644 posts
  •  
LouiseRuns 🌹🇬🇧 🇪🇺
LorraineS wrote:what are folks thoughts about the 'dedication' wall email?

Didn't remember seeing it so I Googled parkrun dedication wall. Scrolled through a couple. Can't honestly say it's inspiring me to donate any more than I would normally (I usually tie mine into significant milestones or PBs - not that I've had one of those for ages!)

You'd have to trawl through a lot to find a specific dedication. Not really something that appeals to me, but I can see why some would do it.

About This Thread

Maintained by Groundhog
Fancy a light-hearted chat about your parkrun stories? First run, favourite parkrun, most beautiful parkrun, hardest course, craziest marshal, parkrun tourist on tour (i.e. how to get to Poland), parkrun family photos? Post them here.

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.