parkrun thread

503 watchers
12 Oct
10:43am, 12 Oct 2024
13,056 posts
  •  
Jason1969
At least with the app you can see something is happening. I'm old enough to remember the timer being a little box with a button it. One time it failed to work and I had to give everyone a time of 59'00" then spend the rest of the day responding to angry emails.
12 Oct
11:05am, 12 Oct 2024
11,440 posts
  •  
Eynsham Red
Jason1969 wrote:At least with the app you can see something is happening. I'm old enough to remember the timer being a little box with a button it. One time it failed to work and I had to give everyone a time of 59'00" then spend the rest of the day responding to angry emails.

I hope that as a sweetener you told the moaners that they could come back and run for free next week 😉
12 Oct
12:20pm, 12 Oct 2024
4,083 posts
  •  
Lesley C
westmoors wrote:I used to like timing and scanning but can't now as the app doesn't work on my phone.

We have a few volunteers that have the same issue.
12 Oct
12:54pm, 12 Oct 2024
116 posts
  •  
Meep Meep
Battersea parkrun started today after a very, very long time in the making. Looks like a launch that was kept very quiet. 269 people. I wonder how much that is going to increase in the next few weeks.
12 Oct
1:57pm, 12 Oct 2024
35,208 posts
  •  
LorraineS
For bar code scanning I prefer the app, for timekeeping I preferred the old clunky machines
12 Oct
2:05pm, 12 Oct 2024
235 posts
  •  
stevieg
Meep Meep wrote:Battersea parkrun started today after a very, very long time in the making. Looks like a launch that was kept very quiet. 269 people. I wonder how much that is going to increase in the next few weeks.

Saw it break online last night, but it always had to be this week or next, as they'd forced Sri Chimnoy to cancel their long booked 26th October 10k.

269 for week 1 is a strong turnout. Can only imagine that'll triple in a few weeks.
12 Oct
2:13pm, 12 Oct 2024
70,304 posts
  •  
LindsD
I also prefer the click of the stopwatch. Although I think you can use one of the side buttons.

I had to process the results twice today and they are still not right. Never mind.
12 Oct
2:25pm, 12 Oct 2024
1,181 posts
  •  
The Mussile
The old stopwatches were a nightmare for us. The usb connectors were fragile and the watches were very susceptible to damp weather. It may have been a bad batch but we went through 3 or 4 in a short space of time.
12 Oct
4:02pm, 12 Oct 2024
9,528 posts
  •  
Pothunter
One of our regular timekeepers has bought a Bluetooth camera clicker which works to click finishers through the line. It means he can hold his phone in a gloved hand and have the clicker in a warm pocket. Only challenge he says is that it auto powers off after a couple of minutes so if there’s a gap in finishers he needs to flick the switch as the next batch approach the line. Don’t know if it provides any kind of haptic feedback though.
12 Oct
4:07pm, 12 Oct 2024
71,393 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
ION, I got a printed parkrun magazine today. I thought they were extinct.

No merchandise discount codes on an initial flick through, but plenty of QR codes linked to money-draining opportunities.

About This Thread

Maintained by Hendo
A discussion of all things parkrun.

Here's a wiki giving brief reviews of parkruns up and down the land:

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=545

parkruns with restart permission: google.com

Note: Hendo is a boy.