parkrun thread

503 watchers
11 Oct
3:08pm, 11 Oct 2024
1,108 posts
  •  
Dibble
Sorry to hear you're struggling LindsD.

Our DoE's agree to follow a set programme too. Fortunately there are more of them looking to volunteer than we can accomodate, so we can set some terms for them before they start.

I tend not to worry about getting enough barcode scanners. We always get faster runners volunteering to scan and if they didn't I would just tell any finishers they can either volunteer to scan or not get in the results.
11 Oct
3:09pm, 11 Oct 2024
70,288 posts
  •  
LindsD
Yeah. We're just about there now. I would like a couple more people, but I can manage. Louise put it out on FB
11 Oct
3:26pm, 11 Oct 2024
15,064 posts
  •  
hellen
LindsD wrote:I have no barcode scanners and no finish token support (event gets ca. 300 runners). I have appealed twice. It makes me want to give up being an RD.

Do you advertise that people can barcode scan after running if they finish in under X minutes? Some may not realise.
Also, if you don’t already can you persuade runners to do the bar code sorting after they have run so that non runners marshal instead?

Makes me cross that runners get a free run and don’t give back by staying half an hour once every few months to barcode scan.
11 Oct
3:27pm, 11 Oct 2024
70,291 posts
  •  
LindsD
Oh yes - and we have several people who do do that. It's only really useful if people are faster than 30 mins though.
jda
11 Oct
4:15pm, 11 Oct 2024
17,917 posts
  •  
jda
I’m surprised at the lack of barcode scanners. As a perennial non-volunteer that’s one job I’d be very happy to help out with if there was ever a need at the events I attend.
11 Oct
4:21pm, 11 Oct 2024
7,699 posts
  •  
Metro_Nome
Oh I don’t like scanning! I’ll do pretty much anything else.
11 Oct
4:29pm, 11 Oct 2024
11,321 posts
  •  
DoricQuine
I love scanning, especially now with the phone app. You get to meet all the fasties that are all long gone by the time I finish!
11 Oct
4:39pm, 11 Oct 2024
11,434 posts
  •  
Eynsham Red
Apart from being RD, scanning is the one role that I’ve never done.

We sometimes struggle to get timekeepers, not so much scanners.
11 Oct
4:44pm, 11 Oct 2024
7,700 posts
  •  
Metro_Nome
I enjoy time keeping, but I’ve only done it at not too busy parkruns. Would definitely stress me out at a busier one.
11 Oct
4:51pm, 11 Oct 2024
11,437 posts
  •  
Eynsham Red
I enjoy time keeping too. I don’t really find it stressful except for one occasion when the tokens got dropped at the other end of the funnel and finishers were queuing to cross the line.

About This Thread

Maintained by Hendo
A discussion of all things parkrun.

Here's a wiki giving brief reviews of parkruns up and down the land:

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=545

parkruns with restart permission: google.com

Note: Hendo is a boy.