parkrun thread

503 watchers
11 Oct
9:18pm, 11 Oct 2024
4,081 posts
  •  
Lesley C
I have never been a timekeeper, knowing me I would screw it up.
11 Oct
9:23pm, 11 Oct 2024
7,703 posts
  •  
Metro_Nome
I remember doing timekeeper years ago. The first runner came in quite quickly and the other timekeeper was so excited that the course record was going to be broken she hit stop instead of lap. That then put a lot of pressure on me! The time wasn’t even that fast in the end
11 Oct
10:03pm, 11 Oct 2024
17,610 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
When timing it doesn’t really matter if you make a mistake, but knowing what mistake you made and when really helps!
12 Oct
6:18am, 12 Oct 2024
3,281 posts
  •  
ptr_runner
I've only ever done timekeeping way back when they hold the timer machines. It's all done via the app now, right?
12 Oct
6:25am, 12 Oct 2024
7,708 posts
  •  
Metro_Nome
Yup. And by all accounts much easier!
12 Oct
6:54am, 12 Oct 2024
1,179 posts
  •  
The Mussile
As an ED I always say that timekeeping is one of the easier roles and one of the easier roles to fix mistakes with, particularly with the app showing multiple times on the screen. The most important role for viable results is giving out tokens.
12 Oct
7:21am, 12 Oct 2024
4,082 posts
  •  
Lesley C
I think it was easier to edit times in FMS, you could open up the excel file and change it on there. It's trickier on EMS, I have had to do it.

I don't mind doing tokens or scanning I don't find them too stressful.
CK2
12 Oct
8:30am, 12 Oct 2024
2,792 posts
  •  
CK2
I’ve only done timing on the old clicker. I must be brave and try the app. As VC I tend to take on any roles where we have gaps but have escaped that one so far.
12 Oct
10:03am, 12 Oct 2024
15,067 posts
  •  
hellen
LindsD wrote:Oh yes - and we have several people who do do that. It's only really useful if people are faster than 30 mins though.

Loads of people finish under 30 minutes.
At my local one it’s often runners scanning, one week it was only runners scanning they told us we may need to wait to be scanned. First scanner is speedy - top 10. Next one was faster than me but faffed a lot so I got to the scanning place quicker. Within a few minutes we had cleared everyone with the scanning. The fast boys may have had to wait about 4 minutes max
12 Oct
10:41am, 12 Oct 2024
9,176 posts
  •  
westmoors
I used to like timing and scanning but can't now as the app doesn't work on my phone.

About This Thread

Maintained by Hendo
A discussion of all things parkrun.

Here's a wiki giving brief reviews of parkruns up and down the land:

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=545

parkruns with restart permission: google.com

Note: Hendo is a boy.