parkrun thread

503 watchers
22 Sep
9:27am, 22 Sep 2024
4,034 posts
  •  
Big_G
Fragile Do Not Bend wrote:Apparently it’s not unusual for people to miscount their laps at Highbury Fields as it’s a 5 lapper

I occasionally see reference to people accidentally doing 6 laps there!

Son of a Pronator Man wrote:I ran at Highbury Fields Parkrun when I was in London a few weeks ago. It was my least favourite Parkrun course so far. A lot of park runners on a crowded course. I never seemed to be out of a crowd from the start and then I was quickly into the slower runners at the back. Also there were a lot of bollards on the course, hard to see because of the congestion and also because they were quite small.

I agree, I didn’t particularly like it either. I did it London marathon weekend 2023 and I guess it was busier, but I didn’t like the terrain, bollards, and someone also went down hard. But it’s so easy to reach from Kings Cross and other places and as a tourist I look for new one to tick off.

Cal Jones wrote:And now I'm a tourist.

What numbers are you up to now, Cal?
jda
22 Sep
10:33am, 22 Sep 2024
17,839 posts
  •  
jda
Got to laugh at the idea that having to travel 2 miles to your second-closest parkrun makes you a tourist!

Leeds (woodhouse moor) for me yesterday, probably my biggest at 700 people but fairly wide path so 3 laps wasn’t bad at all. Probably helps that I wasn’t really going for it either. All 700 came in under the hour.
22 Sep
10:37am, 22 Sep 2024
9,199 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
Its proximity to Kings Cross was the reason I went to HF
22 Sep
12:48pm, 22 Sep 2024
35,039 posts
  •  
Foxy
HF was for a long time my back up as easiest to get to from Euston station (2 stops on Victoria line then 300 yard walk) A District line closure heading for Fulham meant we did it last year.

I needed an easy to get to one by public transport from MK as had a art class here at 1.30pm & Old Deer Park fitted the bill - I have 35 in London & seemingly all the easy to get to ones.

2 to go for 250 & 5 to go for my Cowell - should just get my Cowell this year (I only do them twice a month due to work / travel) haven't planned where the next 5 will be ? A mystery away days football weekend might move the goalposts - In Jan the mystery destination was Spain so no parkrun - Milan in November would be ideal for pakrun & football but then we could get Portugal or Turkey ?
22 Sep
2:41pm, 22 Sep 2024
1,101 posts
  •  
Dibble
Fragile Do Not Bend wrote:Apparently it’s not unusual for people to miscount their laps at Highbury Fields as it’s a 5 lapper

Bideford was 6 laps when I did it (I think it was their alternative course).
22 Sep
3:07pm, 22 Sep 2024
9,200 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
This raises an interesting question.. what’s the course with the most laps ?
22 Sep
3:40pm, 22 Sep 2024
80 posts
  •  
Cal Jones
jda, when I say a couple of miles, I mean from the nearest station to wherever I'm heading since I don't have a car (I sometimes get a ride with a friend but can't always guarantee that so I do a lot by train). Before I had this hip problem I was running marathons so I'd often go somewhere and run from the station. However, now three miles is enough stress on my hip (even walking can hurt) so I look at parkruns within a mile.

I am in London and started with the objective of doing all the London runs which took a couple of years. Then it was everything within the M25. Now it's considerably further. Ticking off a new venue is now both time consuming and costly.

Big G - I'm on 282 parkruns total and 182 venues. I'm trying to keep it the same so I can celebrate 300/200 together but that might prove tricky given current finances and health status. We'll have to see.
22 Sep
3:44pm, 22 Sep 2024
81 posts
  •  
Cal Jones
Son of a Pronator Man wrote:This raises an interesting question.. what’s the course with the most laps ?

Outside of the prison parkruns, I'd think Highbury, officially, but I did Barclay's winter course which was four (hilly) laps followed by two laps of the lake, so not sure if you'd count that as four or six.
22 Sep
4:31pm, 22 Sep 2024
28,098 posts
  •  
Dvorak
I think that Pollock ran a winter course following sudden and dramatic snowfall of six or seven laps of some playing fields.

I can't think of a standard Scottish course which is more than three laps, though.
22 Sep
5:32pm, 22 Sep 2024
43,491 posts
  •  
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
We did Eastleigh alternative course due to snow, 14 laps round the 'bowl' December 2010, it was bitterly cold and snowing but we had fun, @Gobi will correct me if I have remembered number of laps incorrectly.

About This Thread

Maintained by Hendo
A discussion of all things parkrun.

Here's a wiki giving brief reviews of parkruns up and down the land:

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=545

parkruns with restart permission: google.com

Note: Hendo is a boy.