parkrun thread

503 watchers
2 Oct
11:42am, 2 Oct 2024
22,024 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
Dvorak wrote:That New Scientist piece appears to me the definition of "meaningless". 583 participants surveyed after registering for parkrun, then six months later. On average, they participated in two parkruns each. If they all participated equally, it would be an enormous stretch to claim that parkrun made any difference to them at all. More likely, a small number of people made up the bulk of the runs, and most did one or none. That actually could have made the basis for a possibly interesting comparison (but seemingly hasn't.)
I think you probably want to look at the original paper journals.plos.org The median number of parkruns was actually 8 - the figure of 2 comes about because of the various statistical things they did.
2 Oct
11:46am, 2 Oct 2024
34,483 posts
  •  
HellsBells
@Cal Jones Cambridge is 48 mins from Kings Cross on the fast train, the U bus departs from outside the railway station and stops within 150m of the start at Storeys Field. Fmail me if you’d like more detail
2 Oct
7:37pm, 2 Oct 2024
27,457 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Iirc I beat Kelly holmes when we ran the London marathon. I don’t recall if I ever saw her on course to race her, but I know I finished ahead of her;-)
3 Oct
10:04am, 3 Oct 2024
3,037 posts
  •  
AndyS
I beat Christine Ohuruogu at Mile End parkrun...

(In fairness, she was doing Team GB duties as tailwalker that day - although she has been known to run "anonymously" on occasion)
3 Oct
10:06am, 3 Oct 2024
3,390 posts
  •  
RunningRonnie
I beat a weatherman in Edinburgh.
3 Oct
10:15am, 3 Oct 2024
13,013 posts
  •  
Jason1969
That Kelly Holmes piece is brilliant.

She is an awesome woman. She showed up at Stratford parkrun and asked if it was OK if she ran!
Turns out she was right about people trying to race, but she jogged along chatting. Also, she hung around for ages afterwards doing selfie and talking to people.

Inspirational.
3 Oct
10:32am, 3 Oct 2024
21,953 posts
  •  
57.5 Degrees of Pain
I have two 5k 'victories' over former world record holder Dave Moorcroft. And if you average the age of his replacement hip with the rest of him we must be about the same age, right?
3 Oct
10:58am, 3 Oct 2024
9,486 posts
  •  
Pothunter
I met Kelly Holmes in Plymouth last December. She started behind me but came flying past me looking like she was out for a jog! I did get a pic with her afterwards and she was lovely :-)
3 Oct
11:23am, 3 Oct 2024
11,386 posts
  •  
Eynsham Red
Not parkrun, but I beat an Olympian in the Oxford Town and Gown 10k one year.

It was Eddie the Eagle Edwards 😀
3 Oct
11:27am, 3 Oct 2024
16,056 posts
  •  
hillstrider
I overtook Frank Bruno in the Great South Run many years ago 😀

About This Thread

Maintained by Hendo
A discussion of all things parkrun.

Here's a wiki giving brief reviews of parkruns up and down the land:

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=545