parkrun thread

503 watchers
24 Sep
2:36pm, 24 Sep 2024
First-time poster!!
  •  
Rob-C
Bower Park in Cumbria is 5 laps, but it’s a very well put together twisty-turny course, on a mix of gravel and grass (and a bit of tarmac). A much more enjoyable run than Highbury Fields.
25 Sep
8:20pm, 25 Sep 2024
77,770 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Anyone else doing Southampton this Saturday?
29 Sep
6:43pm, 29 Sep 2024
84 posts
  •  
Cal Jones
I did Malling Rec in Lewes yesterday - double out and back around a sports field and then up an old railway line. It's already very very muddy so lord knows how it'll be in December.
Nice cafe at the community centre there for afters - while I didn't have one, they have the biggest pain au chocolats I've ever seen.
2 Oct
11:09am, 2 Oct 2024
114 posts
  •  
Meep Meep
Parkrun is 20 years old today. Kudos to them for still being here. I don't think the last 3-4 years have been all that easy for them.
2 Oct
11:17am, 2 Oct 2024
22,020 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
Nice piece by Kelly Holmes

metro.co.uk
2 Oct
11:18am, 2 Oct 2024
22,021 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
And one in New Scientist

newscientist.com
2 Oct
11:21am, 2 Oct 2024
11,757 posts
  •  
Fields
“Of course, when I turn up some people (mainly men) think it is their big chance to race me! So a lot of the time, I just pull my woolly hat on and run, just to get a good time for me and let them get on with it”

This bit from the KH metro article so unsurprising
2 Oct
11:36am, 2 Oct 2024
28,118 posts
  •  
Dvorak
That New Scientist piece appears to me the definition of "meaningless". 583 participants surveyed after registering for parkrun, then six months later. On average, they participated in two parkruns each.

If they all participated equally, it would be an enormous stretch to claim that parkrun made any difference to them at all. More likely, a small number of people made up the bulk of the runs, and most did one or none. That actually could have made the basis for a possibly interesting comparison (but seemingly hasn't.)
2 Oct
11:37am, 2 Oct 2024
25,723 posts
  •  
larkim
And that image is *not* in Newcastle! Whitley Bay?
2 Oct
11:39am, 2 Oct 2024
6,602 posts
  •  
paulcook
Dvorak wrote:That New Scientist piece appears to me the definition of "meaningless".

I'm getting a huge "correlation does not imply causation" vibe from the results.

About This Thread

Maintained by Hendo
A discussion of all things parkrun.

Here's a wiki giving brief reviews of parkruns up and down the land:

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=545

parkruns with restart permission: google.com

Note: Hendo is a boy.