parkrun thread

503 watchers
21 Sep
6:15pm, 21 Sep 2024
643 posts
  •  
LouiseRuns 🌹🇬🇧 🇪🇺
hellen wrote:I got lost at Abbey Park doing the pre run course check. When I offered to do it I asked if the signs would be out, they said they would be - they mostly were but not at key part!

That's one of the reasons we don't let tourists do our pre-event check! Not that you could get very lost in our park, but it's a possibility.
21 Sep
6:57pm, 21 Sep 2024
7,651 posts
  •  
Metro_Nome
I actually had a stress dream the night before doing course check at my local that I got lost. It was awful! Given it’s an out and back that I’ve run hundreds of times, it’s thankfully unlikely to come true!
21 Sep
6:58pm, 21 Sep 2024
77,694 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
I did the course set up once at Stoney and got lost 😂😂
21 Sep
7:06pm, 21 Sep 2024
15,051 posts
  •  
hellen
LouiseRuns 🌹🇬🇧 🇪🇺 wrote:hellen wrote:I got lost at Abbey Park doing the pre run course check. When I offered to do it I asked if the signs would be out, they said they would be - they mostly were but not at key part! That's one of the reasons we don't let tourists do our pre-event check! Not that you could get very lost in our park, but it's a possibility.
n

I wasn’t a tourist. I had done it about 3 times but it’s a complicated one. I checked about course markings and was told they would be there!
21 Sep
7:18pm, 21 Sep 2024
27,420 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
When i did Florence parkrun I was leading and missed the first turn, but the Marshall got me back and I was still in the lead. I did get passed by a young local and he won comfortably
21 Sep
11:03pm, 21 Sep 2024
12,099 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
I can’t run at the moment due to illness so I’m walking parkruns, but I’m generally faster than the tail walker, so I often find myself with nobody in sight in front of me to follow and worried that I’ve gone the wrong way at several unfamiliar parkruns.

East Grinstead was the nearest to going wrong for me as you are in and out of a wooded section and go past one marshal point 5 times, but from different directions. I had to stop by that poor marshal and get her to explain which way I needed to go next as I got throughly confused!
21 Sep
11:07pm, 21 Sep 2024
12,100 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
Apparently it’s not unusual for people to miscount their laps at Highbury Fields as it’s a 5 lapper :)
21 Sep
11:51pm, 21 Sep 2024
7,653 posts
  •  
Metro_Nome
Fragile Do Not Bend wrote:Apparently it’s not unusual for people to miscount their laps at Highbury Fields as it’s a 5 lapper

I was on my last lap at Highbury and my husband came back for me and said “one lap left?” I was totally thrown but seeing nearly 3 miles on my watch and knowing the rough time I was expecting I was able to confirm I was on my last lap. If I was less experienced or didn’t have a watch I’d have had no idea!
22 Sep
5:13am, 22 Sep 2024
9,198 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
I ran at Highbury Fields Parkrun when I was in London a few weeks ago. It was my least favourite Parkrun course so far. A lot of park runners on a crowded course. I never seemed to be out of a crowd from the start and then I was quickly into the slower runners at the back. Also there were a lot of bollards on the course, hard to see because of the congestion and also because they were quite small.
22 Sep
7:22am, 22 Sep 2024
78 posts
  •  
Cal Jones
Son of a Pronator Man wrote:I ran at Highbury Fields Parkrun when I was in London a few weeks ago. It was my least favourite Parkrun course so far. A lot of park runners on a crowded course. I never seemed to be out of a crowd from the start and then I was quickly into the slower runners at the back. Also there were a lot of bollards on the course, hard to see because of the congestion and also because they were quite small.

You wouldn't enjoy my local, Tooting, then! Three laps but narrow paths with 700 people trying to get around. It was even worse pre-Pandemic. The congestion there is why I one day thought, sod it, I'm going to try other parkruns. And now I'm a tourist.

About This Thread

Maintained by Hendo
A discussion of all things parkrun.

Here's a wiki giving brief reviews of parkruns up and down the land:

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=545

parkruns with restart permission: google.com

Note: Hendo is a boy.