•  
Mr J
Agreed, well said Andy.
19 Sep
2:06pm, 19 Sep 2024
1,191 posts
  •  
Weath
Mr J wrote:Frustrating is that many parents who watch their child run could not do some volunteering especially if they attend regularly and the child knows the event very well.

One of the reasons I stopped offering my time at juniors was because some parents were seen frequently 'toeing' the start line themselves for their own means.
19 Sep
4:00pm, 19 Sep 2024
15,048 posts
  •  
hellen
The number of people who do park run week in week out and NEVER volunteer really annoys me and I’m not even on the core team.
I first did PR back in 2014, just did a few, then did a few some years later. I didn’t volunteer because I felt that if I was getting up early I would want to get a run in. I suffer badly from insomnia so getting up at a weekend is an error! I donated instead and thought when I’m older and retired I will prob volunteer more.

Roll on a few years and I decided to do another PR at the end of last year. I was really touched by all the volunteers who gave up their free time so I could have a run and get my endorphin fix. I felt that if I was going to ‘take’ then I also need to ‘give’. I decided to donate again then I realised that I could run and volunteer.

I did barcode scanning a few times (I do 20-21 mins), have also done pre run course check - handy as I’m there early anyway for a warm up and have done shut down whilst running around after.

In the last year I have volunteered 13 times in the last year and done a total of 27 PR without it really having an impact.

I really don’t get why people can’t just step up every so often if they are there anyway, maybe they need to get up a bit earlier or get home a bit later which for most wouldn’t be a biggie . Maybe they are donating or are volunteering somewhere else as their way of giving back.

I think there are too many takers and not enough givers these days. PR only happens because of volunteers and I really feel for the organisers having to appeal every week. I often don’t make up my mind whether I’m going until Thursday/ Friday so am sometimes late in volunteering, often the spot I would volunteer for is taken,
19 Sep
4:12pm, 19 Sep 2024
11,435 posts
  •  
minardi
I would volunteer more if people didn't take the piss and just stroll around the 5km, with no attempt to do it at pace and with no regard for the marshals hanging around waiting for them. If you want to walk in the park then fine, walk in the park but don't expect people to be there just for you. My husband is not a fast walker by any stretch of the imagination so he does 2 of the smaller laps instead of going for the full 1 small lap and 2 bigger laps. That way, no one has to hang around waiting for him. I just wish people would be more considerate.

rant over
19 Sep
4:28pm, 19 Sep 2024
25,646 posts
  •  
larkim
Not volunteering can become as habitual as volunteering. I'm definitely guilty of that, and have no reluctance to volunteer other than my incompetence in getting organised week in week out.

But I suspect I'm not unusual in that regard.
19 Sep
5:05pm, 19 Sep 2024
15,102 posts
  •  
sallykate
Once upon a time, the suggestion was that if a regular runner volunteered twice a year that would keep everything ticking along nicely.

It will always be a bit of a bell curve.
Jef
19 Sep
5:07pm, 19 Sep 2024
15,309 posts
  •  
Jef
As an ED I’d never cancel on a Saturday.

Friday evening I’d look at whether it’s practical and safe with the volunteers I’ve got and whether I can move all but one scanner to vital roles and put out a last shout and a deadline for that evening.

Salisbury has incidental tourists and I’d not want anyone turning up to find out it’s too late to go elsewhere.

Totally agree with Andy.

Yes. It can be annoying looking at some runners volunteer ration BUT, as said, we don’t always know peoples day to day lives. For some folk, saturday is their only day of freedom.
19 Sep
6:15pm, 19 Sep 2024
4,043 posts
  •  
Lesley C
We have quite a few that don't volunteer and come regularly, every time I am RD I always say in the brief that if you are here regularly it would be lovely to see you in a high Viz now and again.

There are a few roles where you can do a run as well but some folk don't realise that. Some won't come early to help setup or they are too scared to do the first timers.

We have quite a few that walk round and I don't mind that but it's when it's baltic and the tail walkers take their time that's what annoys me. We have had to say to them that they need to stay near the last participant so we aren't waiting for ages for them. We have a few that have really taken the piss, coming in 20 mins or so after the last walker has crossed the line.

Being an RD can be stressful and it shouldn't be. We are also volunteers people maybe forget that.
19 Sep
10:32pm, 19 Sep 2024
15,049 posts
  •  
hellen
At my local PR there are two old ladies who walk in over an hour. TBH that would put me off being a marshal when it’s cold. Apparently they used to stop and take photos! That is really taking the pee. I wonder if they ever volunteer. They often finish a long way behind the next last.

About This Thread

Maintained by Hendo
A discussion of all things parkrun.

Here's a wiki giving brief reviews of parkruns up and down the land:

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=545

parkruns with restart permission: google.com

Note: Hendo is a boy.