parkrun thread

4 lurkers | 498 watchers
19 Sep
10:24am, 19 Sep 2024
7,115 posts
  •  
Mr J
I do feel guilty about my volunteer ratio.
I volunteer at junior parkrun sometimes to help ease my guilt.
Frustrating is that many parents who watch their child run could not do some volunteering especially if they attend regularly and the child knows the event very well.
19 Sep
10:40am, 19 Sep 2024
1,171 posts
  •  
The Mussile
As an ED, If I ever need to cancel through lack of volunteers I will do it on the startline at 9am.

That would make the point in a spectacularly loud and petty way :)
19 Sep
10:46am, 19 Sep 2024
113 posts
  •  
Meep Meep
It's weird how the culture can vary at juniors. At my two nearest juniors one is constantly busting at the seams with volunteers because so many parents sign up since they are there anyway. However, at the other they constantly struggle because the parents at that event appear to want to leave as soon as their own kids are done. That latter event basically survives due to a committed core team, many of whom have been there so long that their own kids are too old to even run there anymore.
19 Sep
10:51am, 19 Sep 2024
69,830 posts
  •  
LindsD
I don't think anyone wants to make anyone feel guilty. I definitely don't; equally I don't want the stress of pleading and begging for volunteers and worrying whether an event is safe. And I don't want the time-suck of constantly checking emails etc. up until Friday night. When I did cancel for lack of volunteers one of the reasons was because it was my son's 21st and I knew I didn't have time to sort out a results mess on the Sat after parkrun. I'm sure some people will criticise me for this/suggest I shouldn't have volunteered that day but I'm happy with my decisions.
19 Sep
11:07am, 19 Sep 2024
35,017 posts
  •  
Old Croc
I had to step in at last minute to cover RD once, in brief I said results would be late as I was scouting straight off to do holiday shopping (flying on the Tuesday) - I made a joke that my holiday shopping would consist of a new hawaiian shirt and a pair of budgie smugglers. Someone complained on FB group about it. Cannot even make a wee joke without someone worrying about a delay in their results.

I agree with LindsD about the stress up until Friday night. That why we go early on decision. I don't want to spend the start of my weekend taken up chasing volunteers.
19 Sep
11:08am, 19 Sep 2024
3,357 posts
  •  
RunningRonnie
The Mussile wrote:As an ED, If I ever need to cancel through lack of volunteers I will do it on the startline at 9am. That would make the point in a spectacularly loud and petty way

Then watch a bunch of hands go up immediately.
19 Sep
11:12am, 19 Sep 2024
35,018 posts
  •  
Old Croc
I like the thinking by @The Mussile

I know of one RD ( also ambassador) who would put it around start area that start was delayed until they got a timer (or other role)
19 Sep
11:47am, 19 Sep 2024
69,831 posts
  •  
LindsD
I have appealed for a tail walker at the briefing. It works.
19 Sep
11:57am, 19 Sep 2024
1,172 posts
  •  
The Mussile
To be clear, I wouldn't appeal on the start line, I'd cancel on the spot and go home
19 Sep
12:35pm, 19 Sep 2024
3,013 posts
  •  
AndyS
As someone who's pretty happy with their run/volunteer ratio (R390/V200), I'm very much in the "don't try to shame people into volunteering" camp.
We often have no idea what else it's going on in people's lives - there are lots of reasons for people not to volunteer at parkrun.
Maybe that hour on Saturday morning is the only time they have for themselves all week.
Maybe they volunteer elsewhere during the week.
Maybe they live with social anxiety that makes volunteering difficult.

It's called "volunteering" because it's voluntary.

About This Thread

Maintained by Hendo
A discussion of all things parkrun.

Here's a wiki giving brief reviews of parkruns up and down the land:

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=545

parkruns with restart permission: google.com

Note: Hendo is a boy.