parkrun Café

3 lurkers | 123 watchers
7 Sep
6:32pm, 7 Sep 2024
6,258 posts
  •  
Dillthedog
Glutton for punishment @runningmumof3boys . Should imagine if that was your local, you’d have legs of steel!
7 Sep
6:50pm, 7 Sep 2024
3,967 posts
  •  
Big_G
A bit of a late decision to come to Cornwall yesterday in the van. Arrived fairly close to Hayle yesterday and had the choice of two parkruns as we were pretty much equidistant between two I hadn’t done before - Heartlands and Penrose. Opted for Penrose as it had more to do with the dog after the event.

It’s an out and back on tarmac, with a small amount of gravel, mainly pretty flat, although with a short climb before the turnaround. A picturesque one, free parking, and a choice of two cafes.

The ED was there drumming up support to try and get volunteers. She basically said that she was very aware that plenty of regulars never volunteer and she went really heavy on the guilt, and then finished off with ‘that’s the end of the bollocking’ (the event had the usual amount of kids in attendance). Left a bit of a sour taste really, although I know she’s probably always very desperate for volunteers. But in my 277 events in 56 locations I’ve never heard someone lay it on so thick with the guilt tripping.

But I enjoyed it, and I’ve 3 left for Cornwall although I’m in no hurry at all. I’ve done all the Devon ones already.
7 Sep
7:23pm, 7 Sep 2024
6,306 posts
  •  
Ally-C
If it’s a busy(ish) Parkrun and lots of regulars don’t volunteer then I suppose she’s within her rights tbh.
7 Sep
7:24pm, 7 Sep 2024
44,505 posts
  •  
Ness
Gosh! That sounds like someone who has struggled with getting volunteers a lot. I have come across gentle requests for volunteers at the venues I've participated at, but never laid on that thick!
7 Sep
7:27pm, 7 Sep 2024
20,541 posts
  •  
Gooner
facebook.com

🐝
7 Sep
7:35pm, 7 Sep 2024
44,506 posts
  •  
Ness
I saw that! Sounds nasty! I visited there recently and it was a good parkrun. Rather an unfortunate incident! Hope everyone involved was ok.
7 Sep
8:11pm, 7 Sep 2024
77,454 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Just read through the comments, sounds nasty for a good few people yet one a**e still wanted to know if his time was processed.
7 Sep
8:27pm, 7 Sep 2024
44,508 posts
  •  
Ness
I know! 🙄
8 Sep
8:21am, 8 Sep 2024
2,991 posts
  •  
AndyS
Snail wrote:Well done @AndyS - hope you ran a slow one, so that you can have a new best next week too!

Thanks - I'm pacing 40 mins next week, so if I beat yesterday's time then something's gone very, very wrong :)
9 Sep
8:24am, 9 Sep 2024
2,861 posts
  •  
RooA
Glossop or Monsall Trail?

About This Thread

Maintained by Groundhog
Fancy a light-hearted chat about your parkrun stories? First run, favourite parkrun, most beautiful parkrun, hardest course, craziest marshal, parkrun tourist on tour (i.e. how to get to Poland), parkrun family photos? Post them here.

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.