Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

1 lurker | 169 watchers
Sep 2011
12:15pm, 2 Sep 2011
7,938 posts
  •  
Girlie
Which yarn did you choose HB? I like the confetti in with the yarns she sends:-)
Sock knitting is easy, if a bit fiddly to start with, I use 2 circular needles instead of DPNs.
Sep 2011
12:17pm, 2 Sep 2011
7,939 posts
  •  
Girlie
V'rap- I use the principle. its cheaper than the £12 other hand dyers charge for sock yarn, therefore a bargain:-)
Sep 2011
12:21pm, 2 Sep 2011
17,103 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I think it's a very good price - as you say, Girlie, some of the premium sock yarns are much more expensive, and they ARE gorgeous!

(The confetti would possibly irritate me a little, but less so than the Haribo that Wiggle put in their parcels.)
Sep 2011
12:33pm, 2 Sep 2011
213 posts
  •  
Shred Betty
Laughing Yaffle stuff is yummy, got a sock kit for my Sis last year, it even smelt yummy! :)
Sep 2011
12:56pm, 2 Sep 2011
9,129 posts
  •  
HellsBells
though I'm slightly less impressed with the bit on the ball band that says cool handwash only - socks? handwash??
Sep 2011
1:14pm, 2 Sep 2011
377 posts
  •  
smash
hmmm, I may get that Happy Hooker book - at the moment I can only dc. Although I'm a bit worried about learning from an American book and then trying to translate into English terminology. I suppose that if I get my patterns from Ravelry then most will be in American anyway.

Right, now off to look at Laughing Yaffle... someone hold my bank card for me.
Sep 2011
3:09pm, 2 Sep 2011
9,215 posts
  •  
Mikuro
It's great. It does have a UK translation box if I remember rightly. :)
Sep 2011
5:41pm, 2 Sep 2011
718 posts
  •  
spinkle
Hand knitted socks are essential kit for post run ritual as far as I'm concerned. Therefore as important as running shoes! £9.99 for 2 weeks worth of fun, staying off the junk food AND a lovely pair of socks to wear is CHEAP I tell you!

Don't attempt socks with anything other than sock yarn.

Most socks can be washed at 30 degrees but avoid the tumble dryer.
Sep 2011
5:54pm, 2 Sep 2011
17,110 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
What about attempting things that aren't socks with sock yarn? Some of those yarns are just too nice to put feet in!
Sep 2011
6:03pm, 2 Sep 2011
719 posts
  •  
spinkle
Of course. But sometimes bigger projects means more skeins and they can't always be matched if they're hand dyed. I make shawls and scarves with it too though some cheaper sock yarns can be a bit scratchy

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557