Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

2 lurkers | 169 watchers
Sep 2011
7:58am, 2 Sep 2011
5,811 posts
  •  
runner duck
all is explained, v'rap. i had visions of you knitting with that stuff the kids were making bracelets out of a few years ago - forget what that craze was called now! and i would def go for knitting then washing so long as you can put up with the smell as you are knitting!

have you looked at the debbie stoller stuff, mik? her stuff is good fun. i have her learn-to-crochet book - it's called 'the happy hooker' :)

conversion table sounds excellent, sk. i could do with one of those for yarns.

right, a client is calling so i better go and shower. nice morning for a bike ride. i do heart my job :)
Sep 2011
8:50am, 2 Sep 2011
17,095 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Have fun, RD, and I wish you strength and patience for later :)
Sep 2011
9:42am, 2 Sep 2011
17,096 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
campaignforwool.org

National Wool Week next week :) and there's a National Knitting Week in October. We are truly spoiled :)

I shall make sure I've got wool on my needles then. The vintage cotton/linen mix (Robin Linette) is like baling-twine twisted with a fine metal wire. I'm going to try to get my hands on some more, and if Secret Santa allocates me a Fetchie who has a taste for cold baths and hitting their legs with a stick I shall use it to knit them a nice scratchy base-layer :)
Sep 2011
10:13am, 2 Sep 2011
17,099 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I'm now knitting an effigy of Girlie and sticking pins in it, for telling me that there was a Laughing Yaffle website where you can buy gorgeous sock yarn AND get distracted by one of the best crafty-blogs I've seen so far. At least The Loopy Ewe is in another country so I'm not tempted to buy stuff!
Sep 2011
10:21am, 2 Sep 2011
7,937 posts
  •  
Girlie
Hehe! Touche- If I am allocated a reptillian Fetchie who likes climbing and cycling they may become the owner of a retro toilet roll cosy!

If you buy 9 skeins from Mrs Yaffle you get one free- I've been collecting the stickers she sends with each order, only need one more.....

*Waits by website ready for next lot of Tiny Temptations to be released!*
Sep 2011
10:25am, 2 Sep 2011
17,100 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I will NOT! I have enough wool already ... and I'm loving knitting with the baling-twine/wire mix after two days on acrylic. It doesn't stick and squeak, it looks pleasantly rustic, and the fact that it would be way too scratchy to actually wear doesn't matter because I'm making place-mats.
Sep 2011
11:32am, 2 Sep 2011
9,213 posts
  •  
Mikuro
Runner duck I have the happy hooker book, its how I learnt to crochet. It's good. :)
Sep 2011
11:56am, 2 Sep 2011
9,128 posts
  •  
HellsBells
I've just taken delivery of a sock kit from Laughing Yaffle - having never knit socks before I needed a simple pattern and i didn't have the double ended needles.
it's gorgeous - beautiful wool and all wrapped up in pink tissue paper with confetti in the parcel heart
Sep 2011
11:59am, 2 Sep 2011
9,214 posts
  •  
Mikuro
Noooooo I want to make socks, now I'm going to have to go nosey at the sock kits.....!! :P
Sep 2011
12:13pm, 2 Sep 2011
17,102 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
The next stage is to start normalising £9.99 for 100g of a wool/nylon mix yarn ... ;)

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557