Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

169 watchers
Sep 2011
2:38pm, 3 Sep 2011
5,816 posts
  •  
runner duck
hello and welcome, alsoran :)

i'm another relaxed knitter. ended up doing the coasters on 4mm rather than the 5 specified.

i found myself agreeing to sew up cousin's knitting for her last night, and picking up stitches for collar/button band etc. have realised that maybe this could get complicated as she lives in suffolk. but she's coming to visit in november so i'm going to suggest that i teach her how to sew up and pick up stitches while she's here. a much more practical solution long-term! the things you end up agreeing to after a few glasses of vino ;)

we could do with a fetchcraft session to teach each other our different skills, os, i'd love to learn to quilt and crochet :)

very good, hb :)
Sep 2011
2:51pm, 3 Sep 2011
9,217 posts
  •  
Mikuro
I'd be happy to teach anyone crocheting. :) I would also like to learn how to quilt. Oh and how to knit socks. ;)
Sep 2011
3:05pm, 3 Sep 2011
76 posts
  •  
fraggle
I second that idea of a crafty fetchfest :-) I'd love to learn to crochet, and I can knit socks if anyone wants to learn :-)
Sep 2011
5:10pm, 3 Sep 2011
7,941 posts
  •  
Girlie
I would love to trade sock knitting skills for crochet- that's one of those crafts that has always mystified me.
Sep 2011
5:15pm, 3 Sep 2011
1,784 posts
  •  
sallykate
I am crocheting socks. Is that the crafty equivalent of cross-training?
Sep 2011
5:30pm, 3 Sep 2011
7,942 posts
  •  
Girlie
SK- definitely- Knitting is listed in the cross training list:-)
Sep 2011
5:57pm, 3 Sep 2011
9,138 posts
  •  
HellsBells
I tried to teach myself to crochet from a book - I failed!
Sep 2011
5:58pm, 3 Sep 2011
17,122 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I would love to learn crochet too. I haven't really any unique skills to teach - my knitting is very ordinary - but when time permits I intend to learn spinning and dyeing.

Fraggle, you do felting too, don't you?
Sep 2011
6:49pm, 3 Sep 2011
722 posts
  •  
spinkle
Crochet is fun. I like to crochet with thread and make doilies. I realise that and the shawl making make me sound like a little old lady.

Spinning and dyeing really appeals. You can dye yarn with Kool Aid apparently.
Sep 2011
7:17pm, 3 Sep 2011
17,123 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Can you get Kool Aid in this country? I assumed it was an American thing. But I'm sure you could use Powerade to turn wool some lurid colours ... ;)

I quite fancy starting off with roughly spinning, dyeing and felting the bits of fleece hanging from the barbed wire just round the corner from home. Wouldn't be fit to make anything more complicated than a wash-mitt, but it would be a start.

There's a big wool-working community around here. I really ought to take advantage!

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557