Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

1 lurker | 169 watchers
Sep 2011
11:55am, 4 Sep 2011
7,950 posts
  •  
Girlie
I use circs for socks and bags where I don't want a seam. Circulars are also good for blanket edgings where you have too many stitches for straight needles.
Sep 2011
11:56am, 4 Sep 2011
485 posts
  •  
Spidey fun
i had to stitch my Spidey muscle suit n mask recently. another two big runs left im sure :)
Sep 2011
11:57am, 4 Sep 2011
32,483 posts
  •  
mad4purple
So do DPNs do circular type of work?
Sep 2011
12:00pm, 4 Sep 2011
7,951 posts
  •  
Girlie
M4P- Yes, anything in the round so you don't get a seam. they are also good for icords where you don't turn the work, just slide the stitches to the other end of the needle.

I prefer 2 circulars for my socks as I find 4 DPNs too fiddly at the start.
Sep 2011
12:07pm, 4 Sep 2011
9,147 posts
  •  
HellsBells
I did an icelandic jumper years ago with a patterned yoke - worked really well on a circular needle
Sep 2011
12:07pm, 4 Sep 2011
32,484 posts
  •  
mad4purple
4needles :-O That would need some proper coaching for me!
Sep 2011
12:13pm, 4 Sep 2011
17,143 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
One of those was my first foray on to circular needles, HellsBells, back in the days (about 1982!) when ownership of a three-coloured handknitted Lopi jumper was practically compulsory. It didn't occur to me that you could use circular needles for other things too.

I think I accidentally felted mine in the tumble-dryer.
Sep 2011
4:25pm, 4 Sep 2011
9,149 posts
  •  
HellsBells
I've just spent the afternoon on the bath plotting the best ever new business
A shop with two areas - either upstairs/downstairs or two sides of a central doorway - one part wool, needles, patterns and all sorts of lovely things, the other part bookshop. Once a month we have a book club, but everyone also brings their knitting, crochet, quilting - whatever they're working on. We discuss the book and have a crafting session. people teach each other new techniques and all the materials are there available to buy. We decide the book for next month before everyone leaves, so they have the opportunity to buy it from the bookshop.
If we could have a little coffee shop to provide the cakes as well.........................
Wish I could afford to retire and set it up
Sep 2011
5:14pm, 4 Sep 2011
5,820 posts
  •  
runner duck
oh, and could you move to wiltshire to set it up, hb. i would be a very loyal customer :)

thank you for the offer of dpns, v'rap :) although i think the pattern is for dpns or circular and i was going to go for circular. having said that i need to go and check...

i love the idea of a fetchcraft fest :)

i've made another coaster today and made a start on the front of the tank top. and i even managed to do some running too ;)

need to stop to make a roast dinner at some point tho...
Sep 2011
6:12pm, 4 Sep 2011
7,953 posts
  •  
Girlie
Count me in HB- I could make cake and help sort the stock out:-)

Next square complete on mystery blanket:-)
Sock knitting tonight.

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557