Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

169 watchers
Sep 2011
11:03am, 6 Sep 2011
32,499 posts
  •  
mad4purple
But I still love purple, I'm just not going to be an all over purple thing - like some girl I saw on the bus last week! EVERYTHING was purple
Sep 2011
11:11am, 6 Sep 2011
378 posts
  •  
smash
Thank you V'rap - your celtic cove link had the perfect yarn for one of my christmas present projects!

I've nearly finished the Cable Socks of Doom!
Sep 2011
11:19am, 6 Sep 2011
17,174 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Ooh, did you manage to resist buying yarns that you *might* find a use for because they're at a ridiculous bargain price, Smash? ;)

I keep popping back because eL Bee! told me that he once had a cotton jumper that he loved, and filling a basket with Ulmo yarns, then walking away again because I don't need any more of ANY sort of yarn!
Sep 2011
11:24am, 6 Sep 2011
9,162 posts
  •  
HellsBells
I'm not speaking to you V'rap
The posman has just delivered a largish parcel from Celtic Cove - none of which I needed or have any immediate use for!
I've already got 3 knitting and 2 cross stitch projects on the go, plus a backlog of things to start, more yarn is not what I needed :-)
Sep 2011
11:55am, 6 Sep 2011
379 posts
  •  
smash
Yes, I resisted, but only because I bought beautiful purple merino sock yarn on saturday. The lady in the shop asked me what I was going to make, and then laughed when I said 'I don't know, I just fell for it!'
Sep 2011
11:59am, 6 Sep 2011
17,175 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I have to confess that my resistance of a large volume of Araucania cotton came at the expense of another dip into The Yarn Gallery. The 20% discount code is still working, but I don't think there's much left now between laceweight (which I don't currently do) and chunky (which I DO sometimes do, but if I'm going to buy poncy skeins I want to feel the yarn between my fingers for a long time rather than having it knit up in a flash).
Sep 2011
12:02pm, 6 Sep 2011
704 posts
  •  
Marchbanks
Oooh this thread has reminded me to finish the cross stitch I started making for my son when he was newborn. It has all his birth details on just need to finish the border...he will be six in Feb :-o
Sep 2011
12:06pm, 6 Sep 2011
17,176 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Sounds VERY much in the spirit of the thread, Marchbanks! But if you're that close to finishing, you might just get it done in time for him to take it to university with him ;)
Sep 2011
12:13pm, 6 Sep 2011
17,177 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I've done a 6-week baby check this morning, on a big chunk of a Cumbrian lad who is clearly adored. His pram cover was both gorgeous and simple - a chunky garter-stitch blanket in random stripes of bright colours, a smooth yarn that I suspect was a cotton/viscose mix, and bound with cotton fabric. It wasn't a hand-knit, but it fairly made my needles itch ... ;)
Sep 2011
12:21pm, 6 Sep 2011
705 posts
  •  
Marchbanks
Srsly, I am terrible for starting and not finishing! Coming to think of it, this applies to the majority of things not just crafts. Shall put this thread on watch and I might eventually get round to it before he goes to university lmao

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557