Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

1 lurker | 169 watchers
Sep 2011
11:45am, 7 Sep 2011
17,195 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
It's still much the same, Helegant - most major yarn manufacturers also sell patterns or books of patterns specifically for use with their own yarns, and online sites like Ravelry and Knittingpatterncentral have lots of patterns on offer for free or pay-per-download.
Sep 2011
12:17pm, 7 Sep 2011
17,196 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I think I may have done something wrong.

I set out to deskein and ball some yarn and am now sitting with a lump of fluffy scribble on my lap :(
Sep 2011
12:36pm, 7 Sep 2011
5,848 posts
  •  
runner duck
oh no, v'rap! i did that on holiday and spent over 2 hours sorting it out :(

helegant, the ravelry search lets you search by yarn weight and yardage as well, which is brilliant. and as v'rap says the manufacturers all do pattern books for the different yarns as well. the only problem being that for most of them you can't browse through them online to pick a pattern...

have you thought of something to make now, v'rap? (once you've describbled...) shame about the other wools not matching - love the ocean cotton, tho, quite relieved it's out of stock ;)

hb, could you make your socks as your small project, or will that require too much concentration? i'm putting off trying socks until i've made a few more christmas presents. more wool arrived from ebay today, so the teddy can be finished :)

i've done to the shoulder on one side of the front of the tank top. i've realised that a flaw with the self fair isle yarn is that unless you break the yarn and start with the right bit for the second side it won't 'match' and i reckon it could end up looking a bit odd if you don't. no mention of that in the pattern but the photo on the front of the pattern has both sides being perfectly symmetrical...
Sep 2011
12:52pm, 7 Sep 2011
726 posts
  •  
spinkle
That self patterning stuff is a nightmare even on socks (unless you don't care if they don't match) and it can randomly 'pool'!
V'rap- my terriers got hold of some laceweight and I've get to untangle 1400 yards of it. I need to be in a zen-like state of calm (unlikely to happen soon then)
Sep 2011
1:01pm, 7 Sep 2011
17,197 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I shall content myself that my scribble is only 50g of 4-ply! It's going to take me all day to detangle, though, and I may never want to see a skein of yarn again after that.

Since I'm still too ill to exercise, I'm going to pop over to Caldbeck to see what The Wool Clip has done for National Wool Week :)
Sep 2011
1:07pm, 7 Sep 2011
1,806 posts
  •  
sallykate
Good luck with the describbling V'rap!

Spinkle I find that a 5 year old girl has the same effect as your terriers...
Sep 2011
1:32pm, 7 Sep 2011
727 posts
  •  
spinkle
I'm actually thinking of leaving it for Baby Spinkle to unravel (he's 7). Sometimes autism has it's advantages ;-)
Sep 2011
1:33pm, 7 Sep 2011
728 posts
  •  
spinkle
I'll wager V'rap will NOT come home empty handed.
Sep 2011
1:37pm, 7 Sep 2011
7,961 posts
  •  
Girlie
SallyKate- I took my 40 cm circulars with socks on them onto a Virgin Plane in January and knitted my way across to Florida, much to the bemusement of the cabin crew, who kept coming round to see what I was doing and how it was progressing!
It pays to check with the airline first and then either stash it in chekced in luggage or take an SAE to mail it back home.

If it's national wool week, I'd better get some more yarn to celebrate, would be rude not to:-)
Sep 2011
1:57pm, 7 Sep 2011
1,807 posts
  •  
sallykate
Thanks Girlie :-)

The BAA site alleges that knitting needles are allowed. I'll double check at check in and if I have to crochet a hat for my daughter instead then so be it :-)

I am guessing there will not be many people indulging in craftery on the flight!

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557