Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

169 watchers
Sep 2011
8:19pm, 8 Sep 2011
732 posts
  •  
spinkle
*giggles*

Still struggling through Second Sock Syndrome here.
Sep 2011
8:25pm, 8 Sep 2011
17,207 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Mmmm. Bri-nylon sheets and a bri-nylon nightie. In clashing bright colours :)

And acrylic bedsocks knitted by my gran. A new pair every winter, in that variegated yarn my mum "designed and plied" on the wool-winder.

Well, I was warm and I slept like an extinct thing. Who cares if I didn't look very Boden? ;)

Spinkle, I suspect that Second Sock Syndrome is the same as Second Sleeve Syndrome, with which I am currently afflicted ;)
Sep 2011
9:33pm, 8 Sep 2011
733 posts
  •  
spinkle
Part of me likes Boden. The other part of me despises myself for it
Sep 2011
9:37pm, 8 Sep 2011
8,091 posts
  •  
Meglet
The problem with Boden is that its very recognisable as Boden. Their tops also don't fit me properly, though I do have a rather nice wax jacket which needs bringing out again now its turning colder.

Did anybody wear Clothkits clothes? My mum used to get a lot of their stuff. It was pre-printed cotton or cord that you cut out and made up into the garment. So sewing your own clothes but without some of the hassle! It was always the same, needlecord trousers, thick cotton a-line skirts with a print round the hem, skinny-rib jumpers (hated those), just different colours and patterns each year.

My favourite was a beige skirt printed with brown cats, that also came with a matching skirt to make for your doll!
Sep 2011
9:38pm, 8 Sep 2011
17,209 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I got a redirected Boden catalogue today. The cover said, "You're a hard nut to crack." Presumably because they've been mailshotting me for centuries (probably got my details off Ocado or Waitrose) and I've never bought anything.

And even at 15% discount plus free postage, I'm not likely to. If I want a Boden label, I'll wait until Surrey Housewife pops last season's unworn treasures on to eBay. It works with minor WAGs and Karen Millen :)

Not a bad selection, though. Less dowdy than I remember :)
Sep 2011
10:40pm, 8 Sep 2011
5,860 posts
  •  
runner duck
i went to uni with the girl who's mum was clothkits! i'd never heard of them tho - they hadn't made it to the working class of birkenhead ;) her dad designed spiral staircases. i thought they were the last word in artistic sophistication!

boden is a difficult one. i know what you mean about despising yourself for it, spinkle. a lot of it is too recognisable, all of it is over-priced and the quality is variable. but sometimes i can't resist. although i haven't for a few years now, so maybe i'm cured ;)

neckband and one arm cuff done on tank top. i had done the second arm cuff then realised i should have made sure the wool matched on both sides because it looked odd and unravelled it all!

also did a bit of blanket on the train (easy to transport)
Sep 2011
8:15am, 9 Sep 2011
734 posts
  •  
spinkle
I got a rather nice grey/ish cord blazer from Boden. Really quite nice and beautifully made. Too small for me ATM. They don't really do clothes for boobalicious babes either - I'm not gifted in that way but I do feel for those who are.

Never heard of clothkits. My mum made all our clothes and my father refused to let us wear trousers. No flares for us then. Or is it 'flairs' ?
Sep 2011
8:23am, 9 Sep 2011
5,867 posts
  •  
runner duck
you would have had flair in your flares ;)

only one client today and a 10M run then it's knitting-a-go-go

(def getting obsessed ;))
Sep 2011
9:24am, 9 Sep 2011
735 posts
  •  
spinkle
Sock finished. *removes it from knitting bag and slings in box marked 'xmas'*

Son having a day in La La Land and is currently wombling round the garden in his pyjamas talking to himself. Feel a bit gruesome from a cold to suggest 'activities'.
Sep 2011
11:07am, 9 Sep 2011
5,868 posts
  •  
runner duck
well done, spinkle :) and it sounds like son is having a lovely time - i'd leave him to it :)

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557