Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

1 lurker | 169 watchers
Sep 2011
8:39pm, 7 Sep 2011
17,200 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Before and after ...

And I came home from The Wool Clip without having bought anything. Most of their yarn is either too light, too heavy, or too expensive for me, but they had some hand-dyed sock-weight merino which is beautifully soft and smooth and shapely. I took it all out and mulled over it until the skeins were almost unravelling in my hands (which I did not need any more of today!), and in the end decided that if I couldn't choose between them I wasn't having any.

Some photos of what the lady in the shop described as "our little bit of silliness" are on my blog.
Sep 2011
10:03pm, 7 Sep 2011
5,857 posts
  •  
runner duck
oooh blinkin eck, v'rap! just what you don't need, especially when you're not feeling well, anyway!

that looks brilliant, girlie. i want one now :)
Sep 2011
10:07pm, 7 Sep 2011
17,202 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I've almost got it balled now :)

My mum used to have a wool winder ... well, half of a wool winder, because she and my gran bought it between them and shared it. It made funny little "yarn cakes". Mum mostly used it to make hand-plied wool, otherwise known as getting some cones of horrible cheap machine-knitting wool in different colours and combining them to make something that looked VERY Poundstretcher.
Sep 2011
11:26pm, 7 Sep 2011
8,084 posts
  •  
Meglet
you lot are giving me ideas.

I have a niece or nephew due at the end of the month and I'm thinking about crocheting something (cos its quicker than knitting and I'm better at it). I've discovered several interesting looking wool shops not far away and lots of patterns on the internet.

One idea is to teach mini1 and mini2 to crochet squares and we can all make it. Might have to be fore Christmas though, as I need to know what variety baby it is before I choose colours.
Sep 2011
12:18am, 8 Sep 2011
5,859 posts
  •  
runner duck
that's a lovely idea, meglet.

i remember the really cheap wools in the 70s - all those lovely new man-made fibres with chemical dye colours that could make your eyes bleed if you looked too closely! along with drip dry shirts and bri-nylon sheets that made static fireworks if you turned over too quickly :)
Sep 2011
7:45am, 8 Sep 2011
9,182 posts
  •  
HellsBells
Brentford Nylons anyone?
Their shop was on Maid marion Way, next to the Green Shield Stamp showroom :-)
Sep 2011
1:42pm, 8 Sep 2011
2,811 posts
  •  
Kittenheels Kath
Oh gosh, you've brought it flooding back, HB! I couodn't walk into Brentford Nylons without getting electric shocks from everything!
Sep 2011
2:30pm, 8 Sep 2011
17,203 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I never went into Brentford Nylons, but I remember the radio advert :)

"That's why we are so low in price and high in quality."

Class ;)

My unravelling is all done and I am looking at the other two skeins with a degree of terror.
Sep 2011
7:23pm, 8 Sep 2011
1,814 posts
  •  
sallykate
Yay! Crochet hooks not a problem on the plane :-)

Oooh i remember the day of sparks in bed! (Am trying to figure out how to rephrase that to avoid innuendo but can't. Or is it just me with a smutty mind?)
Sep 2011
8:07pm, 8 Sep 2011
853 posts
  •  
Garfield
LOL!

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557