Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

2 lurkers | 169 watchers
Sep 2011
1:57pm, 7 Sep 2011
9,177 posts
  •  
HellsBells
hmmm I went into John Lewis for a christening present and came out with some new 4mm needles and a 50g ball of DK so The Girl can knit a hat for her teddy!
I expect to spend the entire afternoon responding to shrieks of "Mum, it's gone wrong!"
Sep 2011
2:24pm, 7 Sep 2011
729 posts
  •  
spinkle
Best of luck Hells.

Have scrapped my plans for my next project and decided to go for some handwarmers as I am so so cold today *mourns summer, sob*
Sep 2011
2:55pm, 7 Sep 2011
5,851 posts
  •  
runner duck
i think that's a safe bet, re v'rap, spinkle ;)

i wish i'd checked with the airline when we went to california in april. i just assumed i wouldn't be allowed and put them in my suitcase :(

i spent a couple of hours describbling on that holiday as well! i hadn't used skeins before and didn't realise you had to ball them, doh! the wool shop i went into over there had a machine that did it for you at a tiny extra cost. could do with that here. although not at the £3 per skein i saw somewhere online!

'tis a bit nippy, isn't it?

main part of tank top finished just neckband and arm borders to do. had to undo second side of front when i realised i hadn't started in the right place in the wool for the fairisle pattern. annoying but never mind. what does pooling mean?
Sep 2011
3:01pm, 7 Sep 2011
730 posts
  •  
spinkle
When the colours suddenly decide not to play ball and because of some random change in gauge means it goes out of alignment and the colours 'pool'
Sep 2011
3:14pm, 7 Sep 2011
9,179 posts
  •  
HellsBells
I'm probably being dense, but why can't you knit straight from the skein? Does it really need to be balled first?
I've not used skeins before and naively assumed I'd just pick them up and knit with them
Sep 2011
3:15pm, 7 Sep 2011
5,854 posts
  •  
runner duck
aaah, i see. thank you :)
Sep 2011
3:33pm, 7 Sep 2011
7,962 posts
  •  
Girlie
HB- theres no reason hwy you can't knit straight from the skein, but I suppose its to prevent tangles as the skein gets smaller.. I have one of those ball winder thingys, its great fun to use, LMG likes helping me wind the skeins into a ball.
Sep 2011
3:42pm, 7 Sep 2011
5,856 posts
  •  
runner duck
i got all tangled when i tried to knit straight from a skein. i didn't realise you can buy the ball winders, are they expensive and which is a good one?
Sep 2011
3:47pm, 7 Sep 2011
7,963 posts
  •  
Girlie
Mine came from here texere-yarns.co.uk
It was a birthday pressie, it suits my needs. I also have a swift to hold the skein on, but its an antique one that belonged to my great granny, so is getting a bit past its best and doesn't hold the wool as well as it could!
Sep 2011
8:27pm, 7 Sep 2011
731 posts
  •  
spinkle
Knitting from the skein would be proper tricky.

I have a nostepinne to make balls that unravel from the inside out. Husband usually happy to hold the skein for me and I quite enjoy it.

Wouldn't mind a fancy machine though :)

I must get on with a sock - I have severe Second Sock Syndrome and I want it done and dusted.

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557