Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

1 lurker | 169 watchers
Sep 2011
12:42pm, 6 Sep 2011
17,179 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Planning and getting started is my favourite bit too. It helps if I do something finicky and interesting so that I can lure myself on from one bit to the next :)
Sep 2011
1:29pm, 6 Sep 2011
2,809 posts
  •  
Kittenheels Kath
My copy of the Complete Book of Handicrafts has just arrived from abebooks.co.uk, it had better be worth the 61p that I spent on it! :-)
Sep 2011
1:33pm, 6 Sep 2011
1,799 posts
  •  
sallykate
Ooh is that the 70s one? Enjoy!!

I have an afternoon to myself, a very rare occurrence which will result in much crocheting once I've got a couple of errands out of the way :-) I have a choice between carrying on with socks or starting a very chunky poncho/shrug-thing.
Sep 2011
2:53pm, 6 Sep 2011
17,183 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
That sounds great, Sallykate :)

Enjoy, KK! I wish I had kept my gran's all-purpose how-to-make-and-mend book, which was very, very old and had, among other things, a section of patterns for making clothes for dolls and small children starting with circles of cloth. Once upon a time, I could have recited that chapter from memory. My gran was a dab hand at sewing too, and she actually made a lot of the things :)
Sep 2011
3:04pm, 6 Sep 2011
7,959 posts
  •  
Girlie
M4P- Love the blanket, the colours are lovely and it looks very cosy:-)
More sock knitting tonight after Ive finished the latest job application.
Sep 2011
3:27pm, 6 Sep 2011
9,165 posts
  •  
HellsBells
I've got a book from my mum called Elizabeth Craig's Needlecraft - it was published during the war and has got sections on making clothing coupons go further and knitting for the forces
I used it the other day when I couldn't remember how to do a french knot
Sep 2011
4:29pm, 6 Sep 2011
1,801 posts
  •  
sallykate
I have a few odd books from an assortment I picked up on freecycle. They're ex-library books and quite old but lovely for dolls and stuffed toys. And dough craft....but I haven't tackled that yet!

M4P that *is* a lovely blanket! I did a buggy blanket for my hairdresser recently and decided that she was definitely not a white / pastel sort of person so used a more colourful wool.
Sep 2011
4:53pm, 6 Sep 2011
5,840 posts
  •  
runner duck
that's lovely, m4p :)

i've just dropped son off at university for the first time. a girl he's sharing the house with was saying the sofa needs a throw and he volunteered my services. i pointed out that they might have graduated before it was finished so cheapie ikea ones were decided on instead!
Sep 2011
4:56pm, 6 Sep 2011
31,071 posts
  •  
LorraineS
Runner duck would you put the article in the header for the thread, please heart
Sep 2011
5:35pm, 6 Sep 2011
5,842 posts
  •  
runner duck
oooh good idea, ls, i'll see if i can figure out how..

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557