Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

2 lurkers | 169 watchers
Sep 2011
6:36pm, 4 Sep 2011
17,145 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
What a lovely business summary, HellsBells :)

I have had some similar fantasies, but really it's the sort of venture that could only be feasible for someone who doesn't have to earn a living from it and can afford to make a loss, running it as a labour of love and a service to their community. Besides, I'd be sitting in a corner stroking a skein of angora all day ;)

I think I ought to leave that sort of thing to other people and keep doing the day-job so that I can afford to make stuff as a hobby :)
Sep 2011
6:47pm, 4 Sep 2011
31,024 posts
  •  
LorraineS
one thing I'd find handy linked to this thread is an article noting where we've found good craft shops - I would find it useful when I'm away from home and wanting to explore new shops
Sep 2011
7:04pm, 4 Sep 2011
275 posts
  •  
wobblingTime
My tennis elbow and sorely neck mean I haven't been able to sew all weekend, so I'm probably not going to get MrWT's Nana's 90th birthday card finished by next Saturday :-(
Sep 2011
7:14pm, 4 Sep 2011
17,147 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
That's a great idea, Lorraine :)

With Christmas-card-buying season approaching, I'm starting to think in terms of a load of aperture cards, a couple of pre-loved silk camisoles, a roll of double-sided sticky tape and a couple of reels of metallic thread ... :)
Sep 2011
7:27pm, 4 Sep 2011
31,026 posts
  •  
LorraineS
Have started an article with three of my favourites

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456
Sep 2011
7:54pm, 4 Sep 2011
7,954 posts
  •  
Girlie
Just posted some pics of my Market Bag I finished Friday on our Ravelry group.

It's like those old 70's mesh bags and is really stretchy and is knitted in the round, so only a bit of grafting of the handle to sew up,and a few ends.
Sep 2011
8:38pm, 4 Sep 2011
724 posts
  •  
spinkle
Nice bag Girlie.

There's a forum for Fetchies on there so posting finished objects there would be cool.

I'm supposed to be knitting socks too but I've just scalded my hand on some boiling hot carrot soup earlier.
Sep 2011
8:45pm, 4 Sep 2011
17,149 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Ow, Spinkle :(

My next two "big" projects are lined up. A black fitted cardigan and Gothic hand-warmers for Fellmouse, and Tink has stuck her name on the 750g of Artesano Hummingbird DK in "chaffinch" (bright greens) for a big cardi and a beret :)

Better crack on with the last sleeve of my stripy jumper :)

(I am also doing a "small" project that has a certain element of urgency about it :) )
Sep 2011
9:33pm, 4 Sep 2011
7,922 posts
  •  
oceanspirit
Nice idea for a business....there is a place outside Billericay, Essex that is a farm but with small craft shops in a barn-like complex. Pick a craft and there was a shop there for it. There was paper craft, fabric craft, sweets, candles, flowers, knitting and needlework. But I can't remember the name of the place.

I need a biiiiiiiiiiiiiig telling off. Gave up my last night of freedom to lesson plan rather than quilt a little bit. Bad me. :-(
Sep 2011
8:35am, 5 Sep 2011
2,807 posts
  •  
Kittenheels Kath
There was a chap running around Richmond park yesterday in bright green t-shirt and lycra shorts, I'm sure a big cardi and beret is a better choise for that colour.

Good news! The moths haven't destroyed my cable cardigan started around 4 years ago, and I can still remember how to knit! I had to unravel the first bit I did though, as trying to work out where I'd got to in the pattern didn't quite work out first time round; and I'm sure I've left it with another mistake when I went to bed last night.

My three-legged cat, Henry, usually settles down on my lap of an evening, and he allowed me to knit, but made it quite clear that he didn't appreciate this interloping 'stuff' on his territory by sitting much closer to me than normal and washing for much longer and much more thoroughly than normal too.

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557