Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

2 lurkers | 169 watchers
Sep 2011
9:10pm, 3 Sep 2011
7,947 posts
  •  
Girlie
I'e not knitted with Araucania( goes to have a look)

Laughing Yaffle yarn is my treat yarn, I usually use Opal or Regia.
Sep 2011
11:06pm, 3 Sep 2011
5,817 posts
  •  
runner duck
really wanting to knit socks! but i need the needles as well as the yarn!

have finished the back of the tank top :)

and have ordered the discontinued rowan wool i was using for the teddy off ebay.
Sep 2011
11:14pm, 3 Sep 2011
17,135 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
RD, do you need some small DPNs? I have some duplicate sets that you could have, but they're all metal.
Sep 2011
9:36am, 4 Sep 2011
78 posts
  •  
fraggle
I know it's more expensive and poncy, but I find banmboo DPN's much better than metal ones, as I found the metal ones would fall off leaving me with a row of stitches in mid air and a mild sense of panic lol
Sep 2011
9:45am, 4 Sep 2011
17,139 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
You can get bamboo needles really cheap on eBay - does the quality vary?

The comedy stitch-slippage thing is most irritating, and slows me up because I'm always keeping an eye out for it, so I prefer to use circular needles.
Sep 2011
10:15am, 4 Sep 2011
723 posts
  •  
spinkle
Socks can be done one circs using the 'magic loop' method. You need suprising long cables for it (maybe 32")

DPNs which are too long make it very tricky.

Have never used bamboo, though I have some.
Sep 2011
11:20am, 4 Sep 2011
17,142 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I have some very long circular needles which came as a job lot on eBay (along with the multiple sets of rather nice shiny DPNs, also in tiny sizes).

Spinkle, I NEED you to come and teach me to do a magic loop. I've seen it in books but I can't learn anything three-dimensional from a page. And I only know two cast-on methods, and only ever use one. There are SO many clever things that I need to know and currently don't :)

I closed the Laughing Yaffle page yesterday and bought some reduced-price Araucania Ranco Multy sock yarn from celticove.com instead. I got two skeins of each of the colours I bought, reckoning that if it isn't all that nice for socks (and the online reviews suggest it's absolutely fine) I can get a hat-and-gloves set out of 200g. And I kept my sticky paws off all the other yarns.

The two placemats I made with the ancient and slightly musty Robin Linette shrank a little in a gentle machine-wash, but I've stretched them out and placed them flat on the whirly to dry outside and expect them to be fine.
Sep 2011
11:40am, 4 Sep 2011
79 posts
  •  
fraggle
I need to earn the magic loop too please :-)
You know, I think we need to do the fetchfest chez Vrap and SarahL sometime:-)

have finished the head of my frog, and one of the feet so far - bl*ddy fiddly things like knitting gloves lol!
Sep 2011
11:50am, 4 Sep 2011
32,481 posts
  •  
mad4purple
Oooh I'd be up for a fetchcraftfest, obviously gonna be a bit tied up for a while, but some time crafting with fetchies and sharing hints and tips together would be fabulous.

What do you use DPNs for?

And I'd like to see what you do with circular needles as to how that works.

Getting through my blanket nicely :)
Sep 2011
11:53am, 4 Sep 2011
80 posts
  •  
fraggle
I used dpns for knitting socks and gloves, that sort of thing and also small projects where I don't want long needles flapping about.

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557