•  
fraggle
Try thesewingstudio - great little shop in Cornwall that does mail order 👍
Jun 2020
11:13am, 17 Jun 2020
13,076 posts
  •  
Garfield
LOL! I'm fortunately not tempted with another sewing machine. My Singer from Lidl two years ago is fine for my purposes...not as good as my mother's Singer from the 1950s but it does the trick for what little sewing I do.
Jun 2020
2:32pm, 17 Jun 2020
1,482 posts
  •  
Silvershadow
Purps -Whilst you are Not looking at Cover lock machines perhaps you could tell us if you don’t spot a bargain 😉
Jun 2020
2:39pm, 17 Jun 2020
23,283 posts
  •  
Lizzie W
What's the difference between coverlock and Overlock, is it for twin stitching?
Jun 2020
6:58am, 18 Jun 2020
21,087 posts
  •  
Meglet
I have a Janome and love it. There’s a stitch and special foot for finishing edges. I also got the quilting table with mine, I quite like to use it for the bigger area. I don’t really see the point of start/stop unless sewing a long straight line, there’s much more control with a foot pedal, but I do like the limit slider. Having sewn since a kid I also like the modern features like the needle up/down and how it automatically stops in up or down without having to constantly twiddle the wheel!
Jun 2020
8:13am, 18 Jun 2020
6,563 posts
  •  
sallykate
Which model do you have Meglet? I think I’ll be like you when I get one, if it has all the handy things I’m not used to. I saw a video of one with a needle threader, so simple but so useful (especially for someone with my long sight!)
Jun 2020
8:47am, 18 Jun 2020
17,767 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
who watch sewing bee last night? I thought Matt should have gone
Jun 2020
9:08am, 18 Jun 2020
217 posts
  •  
The Pin Lady
Thought it was really close between Matt and Liz. Her made to measure was great and I hoped it was going to be enough to keep her there but her other 2 tasks weren't great (but more than I could ever manage!)
Jun 2020
9:14am, 18 Jun 2020
17,769 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
oh agree I couldn't do any of it but Liz did do a great made to measure
Jun 2020
11:21am, 18 Jun 2020
21,088 posts
  •  
Meglet
I thought her made to measure saved her. It was my favourite. Less keen on Claire’s which is a shame as she’s usually spot on. I wonder if it was an attempt to keep a gender mix in the final? #cynic

I’ll check what model I have when I get home, I got it in 2012. My mum has just bought one as well and it has all the similar features. It does indeed have a needle threader, easy loading drop in bobbin, needle up/down, automatic buttonholes (had to check how to use it!) and even an eyelet maker. Only a couple of decorative stitches but in my experience they don’t get used anyway, but a stretch stitch is worth having. And I’m not into quilting, it’s usually curtains/cushions and clothes.

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557