Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

2 lurkers | 169 watchers
Jun 2020
5:11pm, 18 Jun 2020
38,111 posts
  •  
Purps
I was disappointed with the result, for a dress to be in contention for garment of the week then to get booted, I am not sure I agree with it. I liked her most, E says she doesn't want to watch the final because of it. Matt's dress was not perfect, I think they highlight the good in certain situations, his was definitely stretched on the top. Nicole made equivalent errors in her pattern challenge and then rushed to fix errors in her flapper dress. I kind of like Clare and she's been consistently sewing well, but made a huge fitting error and others have gone for less.

But we only see a little bit of the recording of it. And it's done for show.
Jun 2020
5:42pm, 18 Jun 2020
1,745 posts
  •  
runnyeyes
Agree with you all. I think Matt got through... to keep the final from bring all female. But it will be an interesting final. Claire is all about precision ( which is why I was surprised she did that great space fancy dress and a rubbish made to measure) But she can also work quickly

Nicole fudges her way through, but I’ve really liked some of her creations.

Matt..? Unlikely winner.. but we will see.
Jun 2020
5:44pm, 18 Jun 2020
1,746 posts
  •  
runnyeyes
sallykate. The needle threader works amazingly well. I don’t understand how.
Jun 2020
5:44pm, 18 Jun 2020
1,747 posts
  •  
runnyeyes
Witchcraft?
Jun 2020
5:51pm, 18 Jun 2020
6,575 posts
  •  
sallykate
I must watch GBSB...

runnyeyes the video I saw made it clear - there was one thing which poked the thread through the needle and another which pulled a loop which you then grab - about 3:15 into this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5SloMFBgJs
(was looking for examples of how overcasting looks). I'm sure there are other ways as well.
Jun 2020
6:52pm, 18 Jun 2020
1,748 posts
  •  
runnyeyes
Interesting..I think mine is a more basic mechanism...tricky to see with varifocals!
Jun 2020
7:09pm, 18 Jun 2020
1,749 posts
  •  
runnyeyes
What amazes me is how similar my 60 year old Singer is to the new machine. The way you thread the machine has barely changed .. (well if you exclude needlethreaders.)
Jun 2020
7:11pm, 18 Jun 2020
1,750 posts
  •  
runnyeyes
Love that site Meglet. Those beautiful dresses 😀
Would you actually wear one? Other than to a 1950s(?)party..
Jun 2020
7:32pm, 18 Jun 2020
21,094 posts
  •  
Meglet
I love them too. I really like wearing dresses. I don’t have any retro ones but I think I would wear one.

My machine is Janome XL 601. Also I agree, machines don’t really change that much!

Just cut out a pattern for a skirt, and have enough offcuts to make a matching face covering, like the Palava website!
Jun 2020
7:34pm, 18 Jun 2020
21,095 posts
  •  
Meglet
I recommend getting loads of spare bobbins. I remember my mum had about 4 and most had several colours wound on top of each other! I’ve got a pack of about 10 and just using a new one for each new thing.

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557