Garmin Status - what does Garmin say about you today?!

26 watchers
Feb 2023
1:27pm, 21 Feb 2023
29,023 posts
  •  
Ness
Today....

Body Battery currently at 42 (was at 74 when I first got up this morning) says my "body battery "is a little low for this time of day Try to find some moments yo relax and recharge."

SS 63 fair

RHR - 45 (still)
Status also still maintaining

Training suggestIon for today "Base for 48:00 at 10:00/mi" did 50 minutes or so but a bit slower than that.
Feb 2023
1:31pm, 21 Feb 2023
28,139 posts
  •  
Rosehip
HRV - balanced
Status - maintaining
Training readiness low, find time to relax
SS 66/fair
BB charged 61, down to 43 , ‘a break or a nap today can help you charge your battery’
Suggested training - rest day.

Hmm, I need to ignore this and go try the interval session on my plan - will see what happens!
Feb 2023
4:00pm, 21 Feb 2023
2,484 posts
  •  
tipsku
I decided to give Garmin's workout a go and see if I could still sprint. It wanted 3 sets of 3x 15 sec sprints at 4:45, 3 min recovery (110-120 bpm) between sprints and 5 min recovery jogs (130-140) between sets. I haven't run that fast in 20+ years but okay, let's give it a go.

I took your advice on board, SPR, and walked the 3 min breaks with short lead in intervals before sprinting. Result: I can still sprint. First intervals were a bit on the slower end, 5:10-5:30 but in the second set I hit 4:52 and 4:33! I haven't run that fast in 20+ years. My 100m PB in high school in 1999 was 14.8 sec or 14.6, I can't quite remember but I do know that I once ducked in under 15. That's probably the last time I ran really fast. I feel like celebrating, haha! Also, I had no idea I could still hit 222 spm in cadence. Nice surprise today :) My legs felt quite heavy afterwards although I wasn't out of breath at all - definitely a different kind of load and I'm not used to it.
I got 2.7 anaerobic rating for that but also 3.1 aerobic so it still counts as base, meh. But my anaerobic load increased from 45 to 132 so it had some effect. I think I'll do that kind of thing maybe once a month, when in marathon training, so that I don't neglect the fast end completely but it's not a very important component right now. When I'm back on to shorter distances maybe once every 2 weeks. I don't think I could handle it more frequently and stay injury free.
SPR
Feb 2023
4:32pm, 21 Feb 2023
39,612 posts
  •  
SPR
Nice work tipsku, the walk recovery between reps make a big difference to the power you can produce.

I'm guessing the jog between sets made the session 'base' as it took the the highest training effect but as you said, you still got the anaerobic benefit.

Hill sprints are a good way to mitigate injury risk but once every two weeks is a decent amount anyway.

Might be some DOMS tomorrow but after this first session you should be fine in the future.
Feb 2023
4:47pm, 21 Feb 2023
2,488 posts
  •  
tipsku
I could walk the recovery jogs, too, maybe that will change the rating.

And yes, walking instead of jogging between sprints makes a huge difference, you are absolutely right. I just checked the power readings in my stryd profile and I set a new peak power record today. 378 W, previous high was 342 W for 15 sec hill sprints back in October - we jogged down the recoveries and only had about a minute of rest - not enough, as I learned today. Still, I'm impressed I could pull that off after the 19 mile LR with MP intervals on Sunday.

I agree with you on mitigating the injury risk - I'm not 18 anymore. I would mix it up with hill sprints which are easier on the body. I probably do the flat sprints only once and maybe another hill sprint session for 2 peak power sessions a month. If I do the hills with proper recoveries, I might even get close to 400 W there.
Thanks for the warning - the P&D wants me to do 600m intervals tomorrow but if I feel DOMS, I swap those with the easy run on Thursday and give the legs an easier day tomorrow. Thanks again, your tips really helped me to get the most out of a sprint session; I've been doing them wrong until now :)
SPR
Feb 2023
5:52pm, 21 Feb 2023
39,617 posts
  •  
SPR
No worries and glad it helped you. Always good to have more people enjoying sprinting.
SPR
Feb 2023
9:19pm, 21 Feb 2023
39,618 posts
  •  
SPR
After today's session of 3 x 800/600/400 with 100 shuffle recovery, I've just about hit the optimal zone for anaerobic and have a status of high aerobic overage. As I'm planning to do a session a week at track and they are general MD slanted, I expect I won't have anaerobic shortage for some time now.
Feb 2023
9:24pm, 21 Feb 2023
28,150 posts
  •  
Rosehip
HRV - balanced Status - maintaining Training readiness low, find time to relax SS 66/fair BB charged 61, down to 43 , ‘a break or a nap today can help you charge your battery’ Suggested training - rest day. Hmm, I need to ignore this and go try the interval session on my plan - will see what happens!

And now I don’t know if I cut two efforts short because I was tired and should have had a rest day or because the Garmin had messed with me and made me think I was tired - or whether I’m just week-willed
Feb 2023
10:15pm, 21 Feb 2023
16,052 posts
  •  
Badger
I can confirm it look at pace. I got a 2.2 anaerobic effect from 10 x 15 sec sprints with walk back recovery (2+ mins) a couple of weeks ago. Max HR was 142, I averaged 145 in my long run today and for context in Thursday's session my AHR was 167 with MHR of 182. My understanding is if the pace doesn't match the HR (so HR will be lower than expected) it will read it as anaerobic and your HR in the recovery will be elevated to assist with oxygen debt if the interval is long enough.

SPR tipsku Another data point for this. I ran 8km home today at 6:15, Z1/Z2 the whole way, and picked up 0.1 anaerobic effect, which I think is from a GPS glitch running through a tunnel, where it has me briefly doing 4:50.
Feb 2023
7:28am, 22 Feb 2023
79,302 posts
  •  
Gobi
So I don't sleep much until the nody decides

Sleep - 8 hrs 11 mins
SS - 84
HR - 39
BB - 93 , was 12 when I got home last night
TS - recovery
Load low but balanced
HRV - 65 unbalanced

Recovery - 0

About This Thread

Maintained by EvilPixie
According to my Garmin this morning my body battery was at just 41 and I was "strained"
I have been strained for most days in the last 2 weeks
My body battery has also been low

So today it suggested a threshold run of up to an hour!

What's your Garmin say?