Garmin Status - what does Garmin say about you today?!

26 watchers
Feb 2023
2:23pm, 18 Feb 2023
2,462 posts
  •  
tipsku
Slept over 8 hours today, sleep score 84, good. Got good recovery from it
BB 100, yay!
RHR down to 42
Training status maintaining
IMO, I've finally recovered from the long and hard sessions last weekend and the beginning of this week. The open blister on my heel forced me to take it easy for a few days and it paid off.

Garmin still wants me to do the Vo2 max session but I rather start more cautiously, testing the heel in running shoes.
SPR
Feb 2023
2:25pm, 18 Feb 2023
39,574 posts
  •  
SPR
83 sleep score yesterday with 100 body battery but 38 hours of recovery still needed after Thursday's session when I woke up. Could feel legs weren't 100% so was thinking hour easy instead of long run today and after breakfast instead of before. Ended up doing the long run (11.34 miles) as legs felt ok once I got going and recovery now 40 hours so seems like the right decision (5 hours added from the 35 it was when I went out).
Feb 2023
2:33pm, 18 Feb 2023
40,581 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Garmin thought I went to bed at 1:45 this morning not 10:15 last night.

Think my “stress” made it think I was up
Feb 2023
5:08pm, 18 Feb 2023
2,466 posts
  •  
tipsku
I had the same after my COVID shots. The high HR and overall stress levels made the watch think that I was awake. Normal RHR is in the 40s, it was in the 80s then.

Conversely, when I'm watching a film or I'm at my desk late and don't move, RHR may drop below 50 so my watch thinks I'm already asleep even though I'm not even lying down.
Feb 2023
6:24pm, 18 Feb 2023
16,037 posts
  •  
Badger
My mile pace is 6:50 so I'm trying to get close to that ... Marathon training limits my ability to hit higher paces right now, as you said. HR only got a couple of beats above LTHR so I guess that's why Garmin doesn't rate it as an anaerobic session. I probably did it more like an lactate clearance session.

tipsku I did 4x400m hard earlier, hitting about mile pace, and same thing with the HR, the first three it didn't quite reach LTHR and the fourth only briefly right at the end. Garmin says anaerobic TE 0.5 with no benefit, overall training effect tempo, and I can see an increase in the high aerobic in the training status. Not easy to get a big anaerobic effect.
SPR
Feb 2023
7:03pm, 18 Feb 2023
39,575 posts
  •  
SPR
Badger how do predictions compare to what you run?

I got 3.6 (aerobic was 3) for my session on Thursday and I get 2+ on short aerobic interval sessions so from my point of view, it's not hard to get anaerobic benefit numbers. I did 20 x 40 secs, with 80 secs jog rec a couple of weeks ago which gave 4.0 aerobic, 2.9 anaerobic.
Feb 2023
7:08pm, 18 Feb 2023
2,467 posts
  •  
tipsku
SPR shared the link to the first beat website and there I looked into the session descriptions. It appears that Garmin wants really short but very hard/fast intervals as anaerobic work.

Their examples for anaerobic workouts include the following:

Anaerobic Speed Speed training 10 x 50m x 150-200%VO2max / 3min
Anaerobic Extensive intervals 15 x 200m at 105-115%VO2max / 1min active jogging
Anaerobic Intensive intervals 8 x 1min at 120-130%VO2max / 4min

So 50 to 200/400 m sprints count as anaerobic which technically includes to energy systems, the fastest, phosphophocreatin to ATP, and the anaerobic glycolysis to ATP. For the shorter sprint distances, the phosphagen system provides the energy, an alactic way to synthesize ATP. At around 30 seconds interval duration, we reach the crossover point from phosphagen to anaerobic system. Depending on your speed, that may happen at 100, 150, 200 or even 300 metres. The crossover point from anaerobic to aerobic is around somewhere between 1-2 minutes. Here's a chart that shows those crossover points:

(Chart found on https://ib.bioninja.com.au/higher-level/topic-8-metabolism-cell/untitled/phosphagen-system.html. In the second picture, they probably mean a 400 m runner, not a swimmer, since the world record for 400 m freestyle is 3:40 for men / 3:56 for women in a 50m Olympic basin which is too long)

So for speedy people, 400s may still fall in that range of about 1 minute of hard running and therefore will be anaerobic but I will probably be around 1:35-40 for a 400m interval and 2:30-40 for 600m. The former is borderline and the second definitely too long in Garmin's opinion because the aerobic system is taking over.

Now I understand that but HR is not a good measure for these short efforts - it takes my HR at least a minute to climb to LTHR even when I run faster than my VO2max pace. By the time Garmin registers that, the intervals has already ended. Here, I hope it looks at pace, not HR to determine the value of the session.

Here's the link to the website with the workout descriptions: firstbeatanalytics.com
Feb 2023
7:12pm, 18 Feb 2023
2,468 posts
  •  
tipsku
I wish I could edit forum posts, just discovered an extra 'but' in the second to last paragraph.
SPR
Feb 2023
7:16pm, 18 Feb 2023
39,576 posts
  •  
SPR
I can confirm it look at pace. I got a 2.2 anaerobic effect from 10 x 15 sec sprints with walk back recovery (2+ mins) a couple of weeks ago. Max HR was 142, I averaged 145 in my long run today and for context in Thursday's session my AHR was 167 with MHR of 182.

My understanding is if the pace doesn't match the HR (so HR will be lower than expected) it will read it as anaerobic and your HR in the recovery will be elevated to assist with oxygen debt if the interval is long enough.
Feb 2023
7:22pm, 18 Feb 2023
2,469 posts
  •  
tipsku
That's really good, thank you - I was just a bit confused when Garmin set a HR target of 180 bpm for the 2 min intervals at 7:00 pace - from experience I know I wouldn't get anywhere near that.

I would imagine that 15 sec sprints wouldn't get my HR out of Z2 either so I'm glad it'll look at pace instead. Do you let HR recover very low, i.e. into Z1? When Garmin wants me to do sprints, it insists on 110 bpm for those recoveries. Jogging them will keep HR above it so I should walk, I guess. I just find it hard to go into a full sprint after walking that's why I avoid walking. I could try sprint-jog-walk-jog-sprint and see if it feels better.

About This Thread

Maintained by EvilPixie
According to my Garmin this morning my body battery was at just 41 and I was "strained"
I have been strained for most days in the last 2 weeks
My body battery has also been low

So today it suggested a threshold run of up to an hour!

What's your Garmin say?