Garmin Status - what does Garmin say about you today?!

26 watchers
Feb 2023
10:36pm, 16 Feb 2023
2,452 posts
  •  
tipsku
Do you think it will help if I do the warm up and cool down in separate sessions? Like running 2.5 miles to the track, start a new session when I do the intervals, save it. Then run a cool down home. When I do intervals as a part of a longer run, e.g. 5x 600 in an 8 mile run, Garmin gives me only high aerobic benefit like Vo2 max or threshold even though I spent quite some time above LTHR.
SPR
Feb 2023
11:06pm, 16 Feb 2023
39,571 posts
  •  
SPR
It in theory shouldn't affect load distribution across the three categories but could affect how the watch classes the whole session although it really shouldn't of the other parts are easy. I always do separate sessions for track stuff and my hill sprints though so never tested this for anaerobic. My road sessions that include warm up and cool down are usually tempo or threshold.

What pace are you hitting on the 600s? I can see how 600 with 90 secs could end up as VO2 Max as opposed to anaerobic especially with lots of miles before sapping explosiveness. If you're really getting anaerobic, the recovery will be a very slow jog or stationary. I was doing 100m in my minute for example. One of the main in season sessions for my club MD group the last three years has been 4 x 600 with 5 mins recovery to ensure the pace is kept high.

Assuming you data is correct, this is how the classifications work. It makes sense for how the anaerobic system works: firstbeatanalytics.com
Feb 2023
11:27pm, 16 Feb 2023
2,454 posts
  •  
tipsku
Thanks, that's a very informative link.
I'm trying to run the 600s slightly faster than my 5k pace. I did a 6x 600 a while ago. The first one was around 10k pace to get moving, (7:17, 10k pace is 7:15 as run in the race last month) then 5k pace (7:08) and then faster than that, (6:53). My mile pace is 6:50 so I'm trying to get close to that which I don't always manage, following intervals were at 7:08 (dog encounter), 6:58 and 7:06 (feeling it).

Marathon training limits my ability to hit higher paces right now, as you said. HR only got a couple of beats above LTHR so I guess that's why Garmin doesn't rate it as an anaerobic session. I probably did it more like an lactate clearance session.
Feb 2023
11:29pm, 16 Feb 2023
16,028 posts
  •  
Badger
Worth a shot. The last time I got any official anaerobic benefit from my Garmin was running a track 400m flat out; primary benefit anaerobic, score 2.3. Mile in the same session was classified as tempo; anaerobic score was 0.7 and it told me there was no benefit from that, though I think it pushed the line. The mile was about 15 minutes earlier.

I did an interval session a couple of weeks later and that came out tempo too, though it must be said the fast bits were 30 s/km slower than the track 400m was, heart rate a few bpm lower too.
The impression I have is that the fast bits need to be less than 90 seconds or so before it believes they're anaerobic, and as little dilution as possible with wu/cd helps the overall classification.
Feb 2023
11:30pm, 16 Feb 2023
16,029 posts
  •  
Badger
That was intended as a reply to tipsku's post at the top of the page
Feb 2023
11:30pm, 16 Feb 2023
2,455 posts
  •  
tipsku
PS: the 90 seconds recovery were about 200m at about 11:00-11:30 pace, so a slow jog. HR dropped from high end Z4 (LTHR) to Z2 in that time.
Feb 2023
11:33pm, 16 Feb 2023
2,456 posts
  •  
tipsku
Thanks for that, Badger. I find that I hit lower HR and pace when I'm running intervals on the road, too. The session I outlined above was as a part of a run on roads and gritted footpaths. On the track, I'm probably faster and I push the HR a bit higher - maybe that's mental? If I'm on a track I try harder?
Feb 2023
11:45pm, 16 Feb 2023
16,031 posts
  •  
Badger
I don't do a lot of track sessions, generally one set of races a year absolutely eyeballs out in a way that 500m intervals aren't, so I don't have a feel for that, but certainly feel that between the surface being dead flat and quick, no risk of cyclists or dogs suddenly appearing out of nowhere, and the clear sense of exactly how far along you are, it's easier to push to the limit. I tend to think of something like 500m intervals as being targeted at around mile pace anyway, and perhaps I'm taking them a little bit too easy.
SPR
Feb 2023
12:14am, 17 Feb 2023
39,572 posts
  •  
SPR
VO2 Max pace for intervals is usually around 3-5km pace so that does fit with the pace you describe Tipsku
Feb 2023
9:00am, 17 Feb 2023
2,608 posts
  •  
Jaks
HRV still balanced, now in the middle of the balance strip.

Training still maintained with high aerobic shortage
RHR down to 47
BB 90
SS 77 Fair.

My week off work has definitely seen some improvement according to Garmin. Back to work tomorrow let’s see what happens then. Might have to retire again 😂.

About This Thread

Maintained by EvilPixie
According to my Garmin this morning my body battery was at just 41 and I was "strained"
I have been strained for most days in the last 2 weeks
My body battery has also been low

So today it suggested a threshold run of up to an hour!

What's your Garmin say?