Garmin Status - what does Garmin say about you today?!

26 watchers
Feb 2023
6:47pm, 2 Feb 2023
28,465 posts
  •  
Ness
Ooh. Thanks. Will do that. :)
SPR
Feb 2023
7:11pm, 2 Feb 2023
39,472 posts
  •  
SPR
Is this the Garmin thread by another name? 😉

I've been inputting my races into my 255. I always do it via phone (the end up as secondary events via that route). If you add via web, you can add a primary race and other secondary events. I may add a primary at some point to see what happens.

So far it comes up with a schedule which usually has some sprints day before, rest the day before that and a threshold run the day before that. It also comes up with other stuff that seems vaguely reasonable* but as I don't follow it I haven't followed the pattern enough. I do notice that it responds to the training you've done in the sense that if you do an intense session today, the session tomorrow will normally change to something easier.

In regards to anaerobic shortage, I also have that. I've not got round to testing if a weekly 10 x 15 second sprint session will sort that as I'm doing speed in other ways so only doing a shorter session pre race day (once every two weeks ATM). *My general feeling is it suggestions of anaerobic sessions like 10 x 1 min, 3 mins rec are not all that useful in XC season (not too dissimilar from 8 x 300, 3 mins rec for an MD session in track season) but someone that went to club track sessions once or twice a week would likely satisfy the requirements.
Feb 2023
7:16pm, 2 Feb 2023
40,054 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
I used the app to put my event in and it asked if I wanted it to be my primary event as it seems I’d added another in the past!
SPR
Feb 2023
7:24pm, 2 Feb 2023
39,473 posts
  •  
SPR
Oh yeah I remember that happened when I made the mistake of doing one through the web previously. I played around and realised what happened so deleted the events and started again. Once you have a primary in, it seems to always want you to have one so if you delete current primary, it changes the next event to primary.
Feb 2023
7:34pm, 2 Feb 2023
2,296 posts
  •  
tipsku
I haven't seen the option of adding primary and secondary events before but now that I have the marathon in there as my primary event (I added it first without having the option), it asked me for each of the next couple of races if they were primary or supporting events of the initial primary. And also, if I wanted any suggestions how to train for them. I said yes after I put in time goals. I hope that this will give Garmin a better idea what I'm capable of.
SPR
Feb 2023
7:40pm, 2 Feb 2023
39,474 posts
  •  
SPR
The first event added via web is primary automatically. If you do all events via the mobile app (android), they are secondary when you view them on the website. App upgrades (or differences on operating systems) may change this.
SPR
Feb 2023
7:44pm, 2 Feb 2023
39,475 posts
  •  
SPR
I've not done goals at all but might see what that does when it comes to track.

Are you seeing a prediction on your watch for your event?
Feb 2023
9:27pm, 2 Feb 2023
2,302 posts
  •  
tipsku
No, not on the watch, I only see the current day in the calendar. I entered a preliminary goal of 3:45 for the marathon in April but that may change as training progresses.

I just have general race predictions for common race distances based on the estimated VO2max which has been 52 for ages, no matter what I do.

5k: 20:06 (current best: 22:13)
10k: 42:17 (44:37 last weekend)
half: 1:34:47 (raced a half in October, 1:41:30)
mara: 3:29:39 (last fast raced marathon was in 2016 with 3:36:23)
So I'd say all my times are rather optimistic.
SPR
Feb 2023
10:16pm, 2 Feb 2023
39,476 posts
  •  
SPR
What's your watch? On the 255 if you click on an event on the event widget it gives you a prediction (wondered if this get replaced by goal) and the forecast (or AVG for the time if far away).
Feb 2023
10:24pm, 2 Feb 2023
27,980 posts
  •  
Rosehip
I put a huge stretch goal in when I added the Lakeland 50 as an event.
The Garmin gives a predicted time less than half of my goal and just about female course record pace - and it knows the route and last year’s time. It’s not very good at predictions!

About This Thread

Maintained by EvilPixie
According to my Garmin this morning my body battery was at just 41 and I was "strained"
I have been strained for most days in the last 2 weeks
My body battery has also been low

So today it suggested a threshold run of up to an hour!

What's your Garmin say?