Garmin Status - what does Garmin say about you today?!

26 watchers
Jan 2023
1:17pm, 4 Jan 2023
62,019 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I've been quoted "rest" today too, but it also says my training load is a bit low and I'm at risk of starting to become undertrained. If I was interpreting the data I'd think I needed to do some short efforts and recoveries.
Jan 2023
1:35pm, 4 Jan 2023
22,319 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Monday it told me that my RHR was in the 80s!

I felt a bit iffy, so I took a COVID test, which was positive.

Yesterday it had got back down to 64, and this morning it was 57.

So I'm on the mend.

What are these devices which suggest a session for the day? Mine doesn't.
Jan 2023
1:42pm, 4 Jan 2023
39,114 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
"strained - anaerobic shortage
Your training load is optimal but your HRV status indicates accumulated fatigue. Be sure you give yourself enough time to recover."

"A few more intense, anaerobic activates are just what your training needs. They'll enhance your speed and anaerobic capacity over time"

"You slept long enough but your body did not recharge very well. As a result you may tire more easily today. Your stress level yesterday impacted on your sleep quality. Try to relax before bedtime to boost overnight recovery"

"suggested run
Threshold 3x6mins @11.50 pace ... total 42mins"

Recover 8 hours (was 16 after my strength work at 6 this morning) this has apparently been improved by Good Rest (I'm obviously not working hard enough today! LOL)

So the suggested workout reflects the training status but does not take into account body battery (min was 41 this morning), "stress", recovery or sleep quality.

I guess there is only so much an algorithm can do ... but I have seen ads that show "training readiness" as a new feature. My Fenix 6 doesn't have that. I guess that takes body battery and sleep into account too?
Jan 2023
1:49pm, 4 Jan 2023
39,117 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Oh looks like the new "training readiness score" takes everything into account but not sure what watches this is available on or will be
Jan 2023
2:22pm, 4 Jan 2023
2,043 posts
  •  
Jingle Jaks
Also ‘strained’. High aerobic shortage.

HRV has been low all week, was 28 went up to 29 this morning normally between 35 and 45.

Garmin also says I had 10hrs 24mins of sleep (I wish) but it didn’t register when I was awake and up fetching/reading my book from midnight until 2:30 am 😂
My resting HR has been higher 55-60bpm the past week but is now dropping again (today’s is 51bpm) so maybe I’m recovering from something I didn’t realise I had 😝
Jan 2023
2:29pm, 4 Jan 2023
39,119 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Garmin only lets you sleep once a day
I too was up for a bit this morning
Jan 2023
3:01pm, 4 Jan 2023
4,371 posts
  •  
Treacle
My Fenix 7 has the training readiness thing Pix - currently at 42 (low) 'You slept well but have trained more than usual - it has reduced your training readiness'. Still recovering from intervals yesterday I guess!

Training status is 'overreaching' - have ramped it up a bit recently from some very low levels. Heart rate variability and baseline heart rate still normal though. Some of the info does seem to contradict itself.
Jan 2023
3:06pm, 4 Jan 2023
39,123 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
I knew I should have got the 7 instead of the 6! Now I will never know if I am ready to train!
Jan 2023
3:18pm, 4 Jan 2023
2,043 posts
  •  
tipsku
My FR 745 doesn't have the integrated HRV and training readiness. I can run a HRV test when I'm wearing a chest strap though.

I agree with you, Pixie, the different apps and widgets on the watch don't communicate well with each other. Training suggestions ignore body battery or recovery time from harder workouts and only look at training load.

They also don't like if you do MAF or 80/20 training. I find that the high aerobic load suggestion is way too high, probably more suited to people who don't want to race more than 5k to 10k. So Garmin is always complaining about my training load focus and I have ignored that for 2 years now and I'm doing fine.

I also wish Garmin would let me have more than one sleep time a day.
Jan 2023
3:32pm, 4 Jan 2023
4,372 posts
  •  
Treacle
Not sure it really tells you more than just listening to your body tbh Pix - although its sometimes a good kick up the bum if I'm just being lazy rather than properly tired!

Agree tipsku that it really doesn't like base training or 80/20 and will get its knickers in a twist if I don't do my intervals sessions (but then it reckons I've overdone it when I do them).

I take it as a very general guide only to indicate if I'm under the weather, rather than as anything else.

About This Thread

Maintained by EvilPixie
According to my Garmin this morning my body battery was at just 41 and I was "strained"
I have been strained for most days in the last 2 weeks
My body battery has also been low

So today it suggested a threshold run of up to an hour!

What's your Garmin say?