Garmin Status - what does Garmin say about you today?!

26 watchers
21 Oct
3:20pm, 21 Oct 2024
4,137 posts
  •  
Big_G
Mine was showing Productive yesterday and when I went to bed last night, but Strained this morning.

Sleep score of 86 indicating Good sleep. Body battery of 91 when I woke, and HRV remains balanced. Odd.

I had a decent run this morning in terms of HR etc, and I feel pretty good so don’t know what that’s about. It’s still snowing Strained now.
21 Oct
3:44pm, 21 Oct 2024
71,557 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
That sounds very random, @Big_G :-O

Mine told me I had lower than usual HRV last night. It also told me that my average overnight HRV is 68 and last night's was 69.
21 Oct
5:08pm, 21 Oct 2024
15,082 posts
  •  
hellen
Can someone please help! My Garmin is going crazy at me. I’ve not taken that much notice of it before but since the Chester marathon 2 weeks ago I’ve been observing the stats.

My HRV is low, training strained, recovery time 70 odd hours…..
HRV has been low the last two weeks yet I’ve had 5 days rest in total …. OK so I have raced a marathon and half but still!
Anyways, I’m getting a bit worried about whether I should enter a race in 2 weeks time due to what my Garmin is saying and worrying I’m going to push myself over the edge
So what I’m wondering is….. I often take my Garmin off for several hours in a day as it annoys me a bit sometimes. I have kept it on almost 24/7 the last two weeks. When I take it off I’m wondering if it is counting that time as me sleeping / resting and because I’m wearing it all the time now it’s comparing my stats now to my stats back then when I wasn’t wearing it all the time. So now it thinks I’m doing more than I was 3 weeks ago? I always wear it for all my workouts
21 Oct
5:50pm, 21 Oct 2024
71,558 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Do you feel well enough to enter a race in 2 weeks' time, @hellen? If you do, ignore all the junk data you're getting from your Garmin and get the entry done :)
21 Oct
6:26pm, 21 Oct 2024
15,083 posts
  •  
hellen
Yes I feel fine, my PR was a bit slower but I was being careful due to wet leaves and dodging puddles. Did 18 miles sat and felt great on the 15 miles Sunday - think that’s my first back to back in forever
21 Oct
6:41pm, 21 Oct 2024
71,561 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Not worth letting the Garmin data worry you, then. It clearly doesn't know you.

My Garmin's going through a "low HRV" phase but it's not actually low, either for me or in comparison with the reference range for women of my age. Having Covid didn't push it any lower.
21 Oct
8:03pm, 21 Oct 2024
2,663 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
I'm not sure it'll be taking time when you have it off as rest, so much as it's a big data hole. It's feeding an ML algorithm, and they can often be good at interpolation but less so at extrapolation. If you dramatically change your usage habits, it can try to make some inferences but the confidence will be low.

So if you suddenly go from wearing it sporadically to doing so continously, it's going to be difficult to know how meaningful the outputs are compared to if you'd maintained a consistent behaviour.
21 Oct
9:59pm, 21 Oct 2024
15,084 posts
  •  
hellen
MudMeanderer wrote:I'm not sure it'll be taking time when you have it off as rest, so much as it's a big data hole. It's feeding an ML algorithm, and they can often be good at interpolation but less so at extrapolation. If you dramatically change your usage habits, it can try to make some inferences but the confidence will be low. So if you suddenly go from wearing it sporadically to doing so continously, it's going to be difficult to know how meaningful the outputs are compared to if you'd maintained a consistent behaviour.

I’m going to take that to mean the data could be nonsense due to inconsistency in usage!
21 Oct
10:02pm, 21 Oct 2024
58,512 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Basically yes
Garmin does say for accurate data wear it the whole time
Mine is only off when I bath/shower or charging
It’s my alarm as half deaf!
21 Oct
10:34pm, 21 Oct 2024
71,569 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
The data can be nonsense even when your usage is consistent. I wear mine all the time except when I'm in the shower, and that's when I charge it.

About This Thread

Maintained by EvilPixie
According to my Garmin this morning my body battery was at just 41 and I was "strained"
I have been strained for most days in the last 2 weeks
My body battery has also been low

So today it suggested a threshold run of up to an hour!

What's your Garmin say?